Friday, May 19, 2006

ROOTS



"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
The winds will blow their own freshness into you...
While cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
--John Muir--

The picture was taken on my last camping trip with M. in Virginia--a fallen tree exposing the source of the many years of steady growth...the roots. I contemplated this tree for quite a while, broken as it was by some savage storm--yielding to it, splitting open, with some wisdom of surrender to the elements I really want to learn. Now, I am ready to lose myself in the endless green once again. M. and I leave in a few hours to go camping--just the two of us. We have ventured through campgrounds and wild places in Shenandoah National Park, New Hampshire's impenetrable forests, and Maine's rocky coastline...but, never before without our children.

I plan to take Muir's words with me...climbing mountains and asking for their greeting, watching trees absorb sunshine for hours if that is what moves me, opening my arms for the winds to blow through my bones, and letting cares drop off however they may. Muir's words...ten years worth of interrupted conversations with M. to punctuate the silence...the language of nature...and the random wandering of my own pen. Back to my roots--the humble origin of everything...
Link

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't tree roots just amazing! Even small tree's have such enormous root systems. Amazing shot and I love the poem. Perfect to take with us too this summer as we camp.
a.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Viv said...

I, too, have found something beautiful in twisted limbs and roots of trees. I think one's observation of nature needs to be sharpened. We oftentimes pass without notice what Mother Nature hath wrought.

11:17 AM  
Blogger boho girl said...

ohhhh...we are going camping in Big Sur soon. it is my most favorite pastime.

drink in nature, my friend...dance with her, marinate in her.

love to you.

xo,
boho

12:20 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Ohhh...*sigh* That sounds like Heaven.

:)

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember the feeling I had the first time my partner and I had a date after many many interrupted conversations. I was scared :-) But now, it is a wonderful thing to have time to speak or not speak without interruption. Have a happy trip. I hope that it is whatever you need it to be.

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

have a wonderful trip, and my the world wrap you in a tight embrace as you sleep beneath the stars!
~mindy

2:06 PM  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

have a wonderful time sweet pea - refill your cup with nature's inspiration... and there'll be an email waiting for you when you get back :-)
Sx

2:46 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Some beautiful trees with strange roots like that, as well as some totally petrified trees near Carmel. Hope you have a wonderful, amazing back-to-nature trip!

5:03 PM  
Blogger Kim G. said...

Enjoy the time - the silence and the conversations!

2:22 AM  
Blogger Endment said...

You turn me green - how I wish to be out hiking again. My husband and I spent some time hiking in Muir's Sierras - we also took his words along to read each evening.

Hope you return refreshed and filled with the joy of the adventure

7:45 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

Are you having fun? Or, did you, I guess i should say if you are back and reading this?
Hope so!

:)

2:13 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Oh I am so envious! I hope you have a wonderful trip. I love hiking and camping, too and we'll get to do that in our new state this summer. I can't wait! Awesome picture and poem. Thanks for the inspiration...

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.