Tuesday, July 11, 2006

WHIMSY

Whimsy--I invite you back into my life. Let me be prone to sudden impulses, urges, fancies. Let me wear wings where bones used to be--feathers creeping in through the sensible skin stretched over my shoulderblades.

Whimsy--come, and we'll visit this long, hot Summer afternoon. I'll give you chilled mint tea under the branches of a stately oak...nearby the fat honeybees will dip in and out of my lavender beds--drunk with the sultry scent of it as I am. We'll wear straw hats with flowers threaded through the brims...we'll put our feet up on red satin pillows and DREAM our dreams.

Whimsy--I know we don't talk like we once talked. But, I have noticed you in my daughter's wild stories--I've sneaked peeks at you over my son's golden-crowned head--I've caught sight of your dappled hide between my baby's peals of laughter.

Let me be silly and impractical and ALIVE again. I have missed you in the soft broken staccato of my misplaced heart.
Link

16 Comments:

Blogger Jessica Fuselier said...

Thank you for that C. I too need to recite that "WHIMSY PRAYER" to invite the magic back into my life. I think as aging little girls we all do. You have just reminded us how.....

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

..."fat honeybees will dip in and out of my lavender beds--drunk with the sultry scent"...

Amazing! This line took my breath away.
Your writing is so poetic and brilliant.
Love it!
a.

2:25 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Your whimsical post is beautiful and inspired. Love the poetry of your writing.

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I feel I've been somewhere exotic and mystical.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Oh whimsy....take me away...

Poetic and brilliant writing my dear.

4:33 PM  
Blogger January said...

So beautiful. Thanks for letting us join you on your visit with whimsy.

And loved the photo!

4:48 PM  
Blogger kerrdelune said...

Like WOW, this is gorgeous..........

11:21 PM  
Blogger Deirdre said...

Again you leave me speechless. Beautiful.

11:40 PM  
Blogger mandaroo63 said...

That was beautiful. Wish I could write so lovely as you do. We just watched a program on PBS last night where the butterflies did actually get drunk on fermented figs. Was fascinating.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

This is beautiful. I wish I could go back to those days too.

3:52 PM  
Blogger AscenderRisesAbove said...

a wonderful tribute. really lets people know the depth of your feelings

10:00 PM  
Blogger Kim G. said...

I love how you have personified this magical spirit. I think it is the one that is most elusive as we walk further and further from the days of our youth and are swept up into the responsibilities of life. Thanks for sharing this!

11:22 AM  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

hello my sweet pea - this is where it begins you know. first the portrait in the mirror, then slowly slowly, other pictures creep in and before you know it you're doing a full-blown expose on your blog like i've done this week ;-) i love to see your beautiful face - and i want to see it more, as it complements your elegant words so perfectly... love to you x

ps. it still hasn't arrived!

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wings and honeybees - your writing is magical.

10:01 AM  
Blogger claireylove said...

I'm with Susannah, the mirror portrait seems to signal the beginning of a journey...
...but for now I'm lost in the soft aching of your poem to whimsy. Luscious x

5:45 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

And I have missed reading your thoughts all poured out with your amazing talent, in words I want to eat they are so smooth and rich. ;)

:)

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.