Sunday, September 03, 2006

SUNDAY FORTUNE

Today, the geese move in unflinching V-formations across the stark silver sky. Rain is passing over, words seem to be failing me. My plans for writing a revised fortune for my past, present, and future have gone awry in the way writing is sometimes known to do. I will simply say, instead...Friday night M. and Rosie went up to the neighborhood restaurant to bring home Chinese food. I had just seen the prompt for writing the story of personal "fortunes" and smiled at the possibilities. They bundled in the front door through the driving rain, scattering leaves in the entranceway and shaking off puddles from their shoes. We all sat down to eat together, candle lit, plates shared, voices rising and falling against the storms outside.

When the fortune cookies were laid out, we each took a turn. Petunia's spoke of truth in dealings...Boy-o's was about avoiding conflict and restoring peace...Rosie's was about the beauty of life in strange places. I opened mine, against its stale splintering protest--and the message was written just for me. It read:

There is no end. There is no beginning.
There is only the infinite passion of life.



MY BROTHER, Brian, squinting into the sunlight a month before he died...
September 7, 1968-September 3, 1988


He lived with passion, he lived with heart...for him, no beginning and no end. For me, no words but these today--and the strange fortunes and mournful calls of geese overhead, marking my sorrow with unexpected wisdom and broken song.
Link

14 Comments:

Blogger Cee said...

The last paragraph of this entry brings tears to my eyes. Beautiful.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

(((you, my friend)))

I send you peaceful vibes.

:)

7:50 PM  
Blogger jillypoet said...

So beautiful. Words did not fail you in the least! I love your writing!

10:03 PM  
Blogger Kim G. said...

So sorry for a loss that I'm sure was more profound than can be expressed. Thanks for sharing this very personal piece of your story.

12:12 AM  
Blogger Giggles said...

Tears of empathy my dear.....I can not imagine....I adore my brother. Hugs to you...Beautiful words.

Peace and love Sherrie

1:41 AM  
Blogger claireylove said...

How the universe works in strange ways, to give you the timely gift of these words, this truth.

love to you x x x

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this photo and this part of your life with us.

I'm wishing you good fortune today.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

Beautiful post -- and a beautiful fortune on such an anniversary. A serendipity.

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only echo what everyone else has said...beautiful. May your brother rest in peace, and his spirit already lives through you and your gorgeous words.

2:28 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Lovely post. So terribly sorry for the loss of your brother. Your last paragraph is particularly beautiful - full of admiration and heart, sorrow and hope. xo

8:17 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

isn't it odd
how it can hit you
unexpectedly...
and hard...
and wind you
for a bit
before it retreats.

i'm sorry for your loss...

9:45 AM  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

i feel this deep within my heart, my love.... loving you
Lx

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stunning.
your brother looks like he had
a good heart.
thanks for sharing your thoughts
about him.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

I only just had the nerve to revisit this post and the comments today--though I was sure they'd all be kind. The support actually was quite overwhelming and I am filled with gratitude for it. Thank you to everyone who commented here (and also for anyone who happened by and remained quiet)--the "presence" of others is a gift.

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.