Thursday, October 26, 2006

MY POETIC LIFE








In every moment, I see poetry...during our walks each week, lines break and geese rise like similes into the stark sky...the children speak in modern haiku...his hand moves against mine in soft Shakespearian rhyme...the broken window is a metaphor, as is the curving trail they move on just ahead of me, and the tree's jagged skin...My eyes are blurred by iambs and enjambements...by how mundane and holy are the hollows and hills of my life.

Otherwise
by Jane Kenyon

I got out of bed
on two strong legs.
It might have been
otherwise. I ate
cereal, sweet
milk, ripe, flawless
peach. It might
have been otherwise.
I took the dog uphill
to the birchwood.
All morning I did
the work I love.

At noon, I lay down
with my mate. It might
have been otherwise.
We ate dinner together
at a table with silver
candlesticks. It might
have been otherwise.
I slept in a bed
in a room with paintings
on the walls, and
planned another day
just like this day.
But, one day, I know,
it will be otherwise.


--from Otherwise: New and Selected Poems, 1996--
Link

17 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

i love this. I see poetry in my life too. aren't we blessed?

xox

1:47 PM  
Blogger Darlene said...

This was priceless...
Everything about it was like eating an exspensive dessert.

And that poem?

Tears that resonate it's truth.

Thank You love,
XO Darlene

2:39 PM  
Blogger claireylove said...

Goodness - that poem is chillingly sensual yet stark.
My favourite photo is of that bark - rippled chocolate playing on your mind?
sending love and healing hearts to you x x x x x

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh this made me cry. Thank you.

4:17 PM  
Blogger ren powell said...

I love Kenyon's work more each time I read it- so thank you!

4:40 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

Great ending. Great poem. I too am seeing poetry in everthing around me right now! Thanks.

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"the tree's jagged skin" drew me into the photo, as if I could reach out and touch that jagged skin, I felt it with my eyes. I love trees! Thank you for sharing.
--Robin

9:15 PM  
Blogger January said...

Beautiful photos and a great poem. I love Jane Kenyon's poetry.

You've inspired me to show poetry with my camera this weekend.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Deirdre said...

This poem is a good reminder to live in the moment and appreciate everything.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

"...by how mundane and holy are the hollows and hills of my life."
--
No wonder you gave birth to such a talented girl. I know where she gets it!

:)

12:30 AM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

There is poetry all around, you're absolutely right and I really like the sentiments of your poem, one day it will all be otherwise and we need to appreciate what we've got because even the ordinary is special.

4:09 AM  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

that is one of my favourite Kenyon poems - she was (and continues to be) amazing.... that first photo knocked me out - and tells me so uch about your eye... and as for the wildies' modern haiku.... wonderful. (ps. my healing energy is still beaming a steady stream to you :)
Lx

1:31 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

I like the poem very much, but I LOVE your photos and your description of seeing poetry in the everyday things around you.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Oh, yes, I see the poetry and the beauty everywhere too. All around us. I sometimes forget to simply loosen up and enjoy it right there and then, to look at what is right before me instead of incessantly trying to look beyond...

8:51 PM  
Blogger Darlene said...

Have a fantabulous weekend love,
xoxo darlene

9:08 PM  
Blogger ESB said...

wow, gorgeous poem. thanks.....

10:31 AM  
Blogger boho girl said...

wow...this really spoke to me. it is all about not taking any moment for granted.

beautiful photographs to match the words.

love to you.

4:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.