Sunday, October 15, 2006

TIME

If I could stop time, I would sit and breathe outside.
I would drink a hot cup of tea with my mother and ask her to tell me about her life.
I would call my father and ask him to share in mine now, all these years later.
I would visit my brother's new house and say that I am glad he has finally put down roots.
I would take my sister to the ocean and sit in the sand with her and speak about our dreams.
I would pause before bed and whisper into the ears of my children how I love them, how they have shaped me, how I grow as they do.
I would thank my in-laws for raising their son the way they did to make him the man I live with now.
I would tell my sister-in-law that yesterday's mail brought redemption for my difficult week.
I would tell my brothers-in-law that their laughter makes their brother feel young.
I would tell my three lovely nieces that their eyes are limpid with light, fire, and their undeniable potential.
I would tell my six nephews that their steady hearts show me the future and it is wild and loud and alive.
I would tell my friends that I care deeply for them, even when I let too much time pass without checking in.
I would wrap my husband in my arms and keep him there until our hair went gray with moonlight and age.
I would remember what was important.
I would remember to let go of what wasn't.
I would give my heart to every fallen leaf in the grass...

--CDS--
Link

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the last few paragraphs especially.
'i would remember what was important...i would remember to let go of what wasn't'.
I love how I can go to my favorite blogs and find the words I needed to hear for that day, that moment, that week. Thank you.

4:06 PM  
Blogger rel said...

You have and did say it all.
rel

6:01 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I love it~and you can still do all of those things!

6:04 PM  
Blogger Intrepidflame said...

Great line:

I would tell my three lovely nieces that their eyes are limpid with light, fire, and their undeniable potential.

Limpid being the key word.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Good things-I hope you can find a way to do some of them without having to stop time.

Hugs

9:41 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

Based on how you would spend your time, you do remember what is important and what is not.

Thank you for a wonderful post.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Patry Francis said...

What a stunning poem--all of it, but the last line stopped time for me, however briefly.

11:06 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

You can do all these wonderful things without having to stop time! Just take the time. Take it back from the things you know are not what matters most.

So many of these things are things I need to take the time to do, as well. Thank you.

ox :)

11:11 PM  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

So beautiful! Gone grey with moonlight and age. . . love it! What a wonderful extended family you have -- there's so much love in this piece.

12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Laini, "gone grey with moonlight and age" is very well stated. Good thoughts, and you don't even have to stop time to do them!

6:02 AM  
Blogger claireylove said...

I always want that moment before the children's bedtime to standstill, drink in the thousand moments of their hugs and kisses.
Beautiful list from a beautiful thinker x

10:43 AM  
Blogger GreenishLady said...

Such a marvellous list of ways to use your time - whether it is standing still or not. The love in, around, through all of this is palpable, strong. THanks for sharing it.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Darlene said...

ocean watching
telling dreams
speaking love
feeling youth
rekindling
rembering
growing old
in moonlight

this is all that is important in life and it is so wise and beautiful that you know this already :)

wonderful post sweetness
{hug} x d

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I would give my heart to every fallen leaf in the grass..." Poetry for the free and wild soul my sweet... beautiful.

1:16 PM  
Blogger January said...

"I would wrap my husband in my arms and keep him there until our hair went gray with moonlight and age."

Beautiful list!

4:12 PM  
Blogger Deirdre said...

My guess is that you manage to find time to do all these things and much more. What an open heart you have.

7:29 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Beautiful piece - words of wisdom.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love your list. I would've had to stop time to read it before now, but I'm glad I came by. I feel like you're writing for me and when I read your beautiful words I go soft inside.

thanks for sharing, friend

xoxo
B.

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.