Thursday, November 23, 2006

POINTS OF ENTRY



One day, after you have shared your thoughts a while...people come and read them and leave a thought of their own behind. You follow the breadcrumb trail back to them and read their thoughts a while...eventually, their visits take on a shape, and tracing back, you see a rhythm to their experiences as well.

I write every day. I fill notebook after notebook, a small sampling of which eventually shows up here. My blog-writing will sometimes follow a prompt for a Thursday or a Sunday or an experience about mothering. It may not be writing at all, but expression through a self-portrait instead...When I began this online journal, I expected it to fulfill my need to organize my creative energies, which are often very scattered and diffused. I didn't know if anyone would ever read it--but, I gave the link to my family and friends because there has always been this instinct in me to share with them aspects of who I truly am beyond the surface...but, which my typically-withdrawn nature would never allow in regular conversation. Then they started reading it. People began to mention posts that they liked or books I mentioned that sparked an interest. Suddenly, I felt I was becoming more "solid" right in front of them...more able to be myself, as flawed as I am...as frightening as it is to admit it at times.

Then, all of you started to appear down in the comment-section...people I'd never met who were, nonetheless, were finding resonance with what I had written here. I knew about this sort of exchange, had published in places and had feedback that way--but the writing-to-publication process is such a slow one. On a blog, I could post something in one hour and have comments in the next...instant responses to my words. Then, a beautiful writer gave me the gift of telling me that she had read my entire archive in one sitting and wanted to email. Now, this woman has become a friend of mine...so have other people who found their way to me through this blogging-medium. I have some "regulars" now and I am honored by this. I am a regular myself in many places...this is something I never expected and yet, I am thankful this year for the connections being made here.

I can say that I look at art differently now...I am constantly immersed in and thinking of poetry...I am learning to take photos and leaving behind visual images of myself as a creative expression...I have found new books to read and learned new ways to look at myself. I am a participant in an online-artists-colony...this is how it feels to me. Gifts come through your words to me left here...through the blue silk journal you mailed to me to catch my poems on paper...and the perfect heart-shaped rocks you scouted out for me and sent along just because I mentioned a fondness for them. All of you who speak to me through this blog color my days...and I appreciate the time you take to follow along with me. Thank you for coming inside, sitting down, and sharing my words. Something of this gratitude appears in a sampling of the following poem by Naomi Shihab Nye:

Sincerely

Sometimes a new sister comes forward or a brother,
And the mouth opens on a hello so long and wide
whole countries live inside it.
Where were you yesterday?
Each corner and tree worth telling.

Now we will have to make letters shaped like kites,
flamboyant tails ripped from rainbow cotton
knotted together, flapping on the huge ache of breeze
that rides between.

--1994--


Thank you...sincerely, for reading,
--CDS---
Link

24 Comments:

Blogger Deirdre said...

And thank you for writing such graceful words. There is a connectedness in this community that has been a surprise to me too. The poem is just beautiful. I feel a grin and a softening of my face when the gift of this tribe washes over me yet again.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Darlene said...

Such sweet words...but then again, you are a sweetie :)

Happy Thanksgiving love
to you and your family

Enjoy:D

xox Darlene

1:53 PM  
Blogger claireylove said...

And thank-you for writing, beacuse otherwise there would be no reading ;D

love x x x x x

3:33 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

You are more than welcome -I'm sure I speak for all of your readers- to our time and our thoughts,- thoughts which you provoke with your beautifully crafted lines.

I love that I have found you and treasure the moments spent filling myself up at your blogplace.

Once, years ago, when I asked my little niece for a kiss (something I tend to do abusively often), she sighed heavily and said: "Oh, all right, Auntie Vanessa,.. but you're just so lucky that my kisses don't run out"!
Nothing could be truer -how lucky we are that the most delicious things in life are free and that they never run dry... like the enjoyment and inspiration to be had from reading you... and the gooey feeling we only get from sweet little kid's kisses.
V
:)

4:28 PM  
Blogger ren powell said...

Thanks for reminding me that Thanksgiving needn't be a national holiday!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

and thank YOU, my beautiful friend, for being my cheerleader, my confidante and my muse. hope you're having fun today with the wildies :-) love you

Lily xo

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to have found you, truly. I love your words and the poems you post ~ you inspire me and I'm glad to have you in my daily life.

Happy Thanksgiving to you!

8:14 PM  
Blogger January said...

I think you're phenomenal! Thanks for your words. I love seeing your beautiful picture pop up on my blog.

11:46 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

Beautiful photo, beautiful poem, beautiful post.

I hope you had a lovely day today.

12:11 AM  
Blogger [a} said...

deirdre described this as "graceful" and that's the best word!

"this instinct in me to share with them aspects of who I truly am beyond the surface...but, which my typically-withdrawn nature would never allow in regular conversation." same reason i started blogging.. >^.^<

2:43 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

And thank you for the gift of yourself, in your beautiful words of wisdom, beauty and grace.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Lil said...

Oh you've hit the nail on the head...the way we begin to weave a community through our words on the www...it's wonderful and humbling to meet such other gifted and caring souls. Thank you for writing this...

Lil

9:24 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

This is my first visit to your blog having stumbled from one blog to another. I must say that I very much liked the thoughts in this entry. Cheers.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Thank you for being here, sharing your writing with us...Allowing us to see your spirit that is so hard for you to share, as you say.It is beautiful.

I really miss your words when I am trying to keep myself on task! I really do!

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving with your lovely family, friend.

oxox :)

1:08 PM  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

Absolutely! All so beautifully said. Also, speaking of emailing, would you email me your email? (I didn't find a link on your site) -- I wanted to ask you something.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Can I say ditto?

Oh I love coming here and reading your words. I love the connection I feel with your experiences.

I was just standing in Barnes and Noble browsing through poetry and thought many of the things you say here.
So I will have to repeat-ditto.

Love you

11:00 AM  
Blogger angela said...

so glad to have found you out here. happy day to you :)

9:28 PM  
Blogger gerry rosser said...

What a nice post and poem.

11:43 PM  
Blogger Kim G. said...

I am breathing such a sigh of relief as when I started reading this entry, I thought, "Oh no! Another of my favorite bloggers is signing off!" I was so relieved that as I kept reading, this wasn't the case!

Thank you for the inspiration you give me to keep writing for the love of it, not the product. You are such a blessing in my life! It is amazing isn't it to think of all the connections we can make through our little blogs and how they change us and make us better than we were before. What a wonderful world!

1:24 AM  
Blogger nina beana said...

you are such a gift to us all...thank you.

i really heard what you were writing about blogging, esp. about the family member thing. i've been struggling about feeling much more exposed than others- like all the people in my life read my blog and nobody else has a blog! i hate to think of blogging as give and take, but come on people! some times i just wish good old auntie had a blog, too...and then i could get that deeper glimpse into her life.

this post was great, and exactly what i needed to read today! keep writing and sharing. xo

2:02 PM  
Blogger Georgia said...

I am so happy to have come across your blog in this huge bloggie universe... or did you come across mine??? I don't even know for sure. All i do know is that there is a truth in your posts that resonate within me. I love reading your words and also love seeing the photo's you post.

xoxo
Georgia

3:33 PM  
Blogger bee said...

oh, how odd. that i would choose now to come and visit you for the first time, after coming across you in others' comments, and finding *this* post. how beautifully appropriate.

delia, it's wonderful to meet you. i WANT to sit down and read your archives in one sitting - the experience has to be magical.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Patry Francis said...

I feel so fortunate to have discovered you, your wonderful, sensitive writing, and your great devotion to your family. Now I'm collecting heart shaped rocks, too!

9:47 PM  
Blogger gerry rosser said...

I post again because of the picture. Doors are such evocative images for me. I think I've posted several on my blog. I see a door (especially a cool one, like your pic) and it's like a river, or a train track, or a dream, it could lead anywhere--and I want to go.

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.