Thursday, December 28, 2006

DAY TWENTY-EIGHT:
(poetry)





Miracle Fair
by Wislawa Szymborska

The commonplace miracle:
that so many common miracles take place.

The usual miracle:
invisible dogs barking
in the dead of night.

One of many miracles:
a small and airy cloud
is able to upstage the massive moon.

Several miracles in one:
an alder is reflected in the water
and is reversed from left to right
and grows from crown to root
and never hits bottom
though the water isn't deep.

A run-of-the-mill miracle:
winds mild to moderate
turning gusty in storms.

A miracle in the first place:
cows will be cows.

Next but not least:
just this cherry orchard
from just this cherry pit.

A miracle minus top hat and tails:
fluttering white doves.

A miracle (what else can you call it):
the sun rose today at three fourteen a.m.
and will set tonight at one past eight.

A miracle that's lost on us:
the hand actually has fewer than six fingers
but still it's got more than four.

A miracle, just take a look around:
the inescapable earth.

An extra miracle, extra and ordinary:
the unthinkable
can be thought.

--from The People on the Bridge, 1986--
Link

11 Comments:

Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

This is such a good poem--you really are a fine poet. And yes, I am looking forward to many such small miracles yet in 2007! (Not the least of them more poems like this!)

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice, especially for the New Year.
Happy New Year to you and yours!
Awesome lighting in that photo.

10:43 AM  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

that photo is incredible. i love this month of photos.
and thank you for introducing me to this poem!

12:09 PM  
Blogger January said...

Thank you for all of the poetry and photos this year. This one is no exception.

Hope your 2007 is full of miracles, Delia.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I love this poem! (I'll have to find the volume, now.) Thank you.

11:06 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

This is a very cool poem and I love the photo. We really were on the same wavelength today, weren't we. Eerie, but in a cool way.

I hope you and your family are feeling ok. I see saltines and ginger ale featured in yesterday's photos and that says upset tummy to me.

12:50 AM  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

Oh, I love this poem, Delia. I feel this way exactly. Surrounded by miracles and full of wonder, sometimes at simple things. Staring at an icicle as if someone had the genius to think it up. Love all your pictures -- seeing kids in their pj's opening presents, makes me anxious for that -- for a family! Happy New Year!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

I like this so much! The cherry pit line...Yes. I like this very much.

You have taught me so much this year, about poetry and words, and I am not even in your class! What a gift you have been to me, in this blogging venture. I just wanted to tell you. ;)

And this photo is great. Good eye, you have.

:)

2:00 PM  
Blogger Regina said...

I've had trouble seeing any miracles this year but this was so wonderful... I loved the "miracle in the first place"...
We forget just how "ordinary" miracles are these days.

2:07 PM  
Blogger nina beana said...

i love this picture. i keep coming back to it. there's just something about it that draws me...

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great poem and photo! Hope you and yours have a wonderful new year. xo

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.