Monday, January 22, 2007

FIRST SNOW MISCELLANY

1.) I love hot chocolate and I miss it desperately.
2.) I took photos of my boy-o's nest as the snow fell.
3.) Edgar Allen Poe had a birthday on Friday (I celebrated by reading "The Raven" in the bathtub).
4.) My reviews are appearing regularly here and here...but, if you only read one, go for this--then buy it for your daughter, niece, or other girl who might need a boost in confidence and self-awareness.
5.) Breathe deeply with me because my daughter is getting close to adolescence herself and I am wondering what it will be like to mother a teenager beyond the stereotypes.



6.) Feel free to tell me what natural products and eco-friendly gifts you think worthy of reviewing...and, what book titles you feel need some publicity. I like to support independent craftspeople and writers as much as I can.
7.) My younger daughter insisted on pelting me with snowballs after school, wanted to be held and changed into a princess gown as soon as we got inside, and drank her hot chocolate with more than a little bit of gloating.
8.) M. bought me a new tea mug which is really more like a bowl and today is my first day using it--to sip sensible green tea.
9.) I started reading a lovely book, but just don't think I can go any further since it opens with her six-year-old son's death and I am raising a six-year-old boy.
10.) When I found out my second pregnancy was to be a son I wept, and it was more with fear than joy.
11.) When boy-o was born he quickly proved to be the sweetest, most kindhearted boy I've ever met in my life, and he opened my mind wide.
12.) When he was critically ill the summer he was five, the fear came back and has been hanging around the periphery ever since.
13.) Last week, when M. asked him a homework question he didn't know the answer to he casually replied, "Dad--a tick ate half of my brain, I just can't remember stuff, okay?"
14.) A tick didn't really eat half of his brain, but to a young boy--that just about describes the Lyme disease and meningitis he suffered with.
15.) In the summer, I took a blogging break and really thought I wouldn't return to it.



16.) Today marks my 200th post.
17.) I am glad I decided to continue to post here--blogging is a strange thing, but it has been a positive form of expression for me and a way to look into the lives and thoughts of other creative people around the world.
18.) I am a fairly shy person in life, often reticent to share details about myself--to answer the phone--to spill it.
19.) My family and some friends read along with my fellow bloggers I've never met, therefore, I feel like it has almost been a creative "coming-out" in real life...yes, people knew I wrote and published things, but until they actually regularly read my posts--it somehow didn't all add up. Now, I think--it does.
20.) I still have certain subjects I will not write about here--though the people whose blogs I read who split veins and just pour and pour their truth forth I admire deeply. That kind of fearlessness keeps me inspired.



21.) As I've mentioned, I was raised to celebrate my 75% Irish-American heritage, while the 25% Italian was downplayed...My second book in process right now features a full-blooded Italian immigrant family.
22.) I feel I'm exploring my untapped roots.
23.) Book One has a tentative title now, Migration Summer, and I am revising it deliriously--spurred to act by my supportive family and friends, some of whom have decided to email me weekly with "status" check-ins, holding me accountable for the work I'm doing (or not).
24.) The fact that an old teacher of mine referred me for a fellowship (fingers crossed) for this summer which required the first 50 pages to be tightened up--the synopsis to be fully completed--and my timeline for project finalizing sketched out helped as well.
25.) My health is improving slowly but surely.
26.) Had I not taken a temporary hiatus from teaching, I know this wouldn't be the case.
27.) Dropping off my kids this morning, an old student from one of my earliest college classes leapt from the bus she was driving as I struggled to open the icy car door and hugged me, yelling "MS. S!!!"
28.) It took me at least a full minute to remember exactly who she was, but I hugged her anyway.
29.) Petunia has her first crush, on him.
30.) I am still working to balance it all...to stay knee deep in the magic around me...or, as Denise Levertov says, to remember, "Let me walk through the fields of paper/ touching with my wand/ dry stems and stunted/ butterflies".
Link

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have read your review of the first moon kit sadley a year or so late. my guy has a grandaughter who spends weekends here and is 14 years this week. the change in her in the past two years has been so fast and so remarkable. i raised a boy and have no experience with this madness! i will look in on you often!

7:12 PM  
Blogger Kim G. said...

I love your list and could relate to several of your points. We had a rare snowfall last week and enjoyed the magic that comes with the words "school is canceled" which included snowball fights and hot chocolate and snuggling by the fire. I too, have a pre-teen on my hands who thinks that fellow is "totally hot". (Excuse me while I loose my dinner!) I'm so not ready for this! I love the recommendation you made for the book and may look to find one of those for her. I also have to draw the line at many books that describe danger or harm to children. I have such a graphic imagination as soon as I read something like that, I can picture my own children suffering the same fate. Go easy on yourself. It's no discredit to the author, you're just not in a place to read that now.

So glad to hear you are working on more writing projects that we'll hopefully see in the future and glad to hear you are feeling better these days! Have a wonderful week!

11:10 PM  
Blogger Deirdre said...

I'm so glad you came back to blogging. Even your lists are soulful. And I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better. Will hot chocolate be an option later?

1:16 AM  
Blogger Deb R said...

What a lovely post! I'm glad you're still blogging.

Why did you give up hot chocolate?

1:40 AM  
Blogger claireylove said...

I come away a happier bb today feeling like I know you that little bit better. This is a beautiful list and I'm so thrilled to be part of your circle of sharing :-) love to you x x x

p.s. for non-sharers we seem to be doing a lot of sharing this week!

p.p.s. i'm right behind you with the re-writing of your finally titled(!) novel - go Delia!!!

6:06 AM  
Blogger gerry rosser said...

Wow, quite a list. I really am not much of a "list" person, but I read through to the end.
Keep posting, please, I really like to read what you say.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so very glad you did stay with blogging, I wouldn't have had the chance to 'know' you.
I love your list here and identify with so much of it, esp. the part of being shy and not revealing it all.
I like your photos and I'm excited for your novel(s) and also, the fellowship!!

xoxo, K.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

Thanks for the comments everyone! To answer the hot chocolate thing, it is my stomach ulcer--which is getting better but flares terribly when I try my favorite old indulgence (chocolate) again. Maybe someday...
Love,
D.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

Oh Delia, I am SO glad you came back to blogging, too! It would be a bummer not to know you and not to read your beautiful words!

So many things to respond to in this post -- first, I am so happy to hear your health is improving AND that your writing is going well! I cross my fingers with you for the fellowship. And I hope to be able to read about the Italian immigrant family of your book (and I don't know what the first book is about!)

Your son's comment is hilarious, and Petunia's crush on Orlando -- so cute! I would say I have a crush on Legolas, but not so much his other characters. Saw a really funny episode of the British show "Extras" where big stars play themselves as cads, and in it Orlando was gamely acting himself as a complete narcissist. It was so funny! (You can also see Kate Winslet on the premier episode, crassly admitting to doing a holocaust movie just for awards nominations, and advising an extra on how to do phone sex!) Obviously not a show for Petunia, but funny for grownups.

As for the reviews -- wonderful -- and I wonder if I can have my publisher send you a galley? Alexandra's brother's family is reading it together now, a 5-year-old, and 8-year-old and both parents. I love knowing that. Maybe I'll just give you and Patry both galleys when I see you next month (hope that's still on!)

And happy 200th post!

1:43 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Congrats on your 200th post! A lovely list and thanks for the links to your reviews. Great photos too.

8:43 PM  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

this post is wonderful. i feel like i was able to sit down with you to enjoy a cup of green tea and hear little pieces of who you are...

the last one...yes. it is so good.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Lilian said...

I'm delighted that you decided to keep on blogging. I wish I had more time to go dig on your archives and read every line you've written.

Congratulations on your 200th post!

I love the snow photos. I'm sad I didn't take pictures of the first snow (nor the second), but hopefully there will be more snow -- it is snowing right now after all.

10:52 PM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

i'm so glad you decided to
keep blogging....
i love to read your words.

6:24 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

I am so, so happy you came back to blogging. You inspire me. and I know you say you are shy, and so you might feel odd when a "stranger" says that they would miss you so much if you had gone, but it is true. I really would have! You are ne of the blogs I want to read everyday, even when I don't have tme for many. I always find myself wishing we could sit and drink tea, and talk.

Thank you for your words to me on CaC.

oxox :)

12:42 AM  
Blogger [a} said...

Lovely list to read.

Esp. the hugging part :)

I want to read your book when it comes out!

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suggest you finish the book! It was hard for me and while I wasn't in utter love with the book, I did finish it and glad to have done so.

It's different than my usual light-hearted books that keep me from getting too invested in the characters.

I just read it in December or so - funny that you are too. I just sort of found it at the library without really looking - I guess it called me. Did you finish it?

PS: Just came across your blog from the NFO links. I promise I won't lurk (I forget to check blogs).

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.