Saturday, January 27, 2007

THE GOLDFISH AND THE LAUGHING TREE

Editorial calendars move slowly and the review published at Natural Family Magazine today was one concerning a book I read and wrote about months ago. With the announcement this week of a colleague's illness, I feel like it is an odd synchronicity that the review of Dann's memoir of losing her husband Wilem to brain cancer was timed for today. The Goldfish went on Vacation is a powerful book dealing with what we tell our children, and ourselves, when confronted with death and loss. Dann (who also wrote the book which became an old cult-favorite movie, Mermaids) handles the subject matter with bittersweet humor and a gentle touch. Read my review here.

The laughing tree photo is because this is what I see upon exiting my front door every single day:



I painted the grinning tree there when my oldest girl was just a toddler and had fallen hard for a massive oak in the neighborhood with a smile splashed on in black and white. That other tree was cut down last year, blighted with age and disease. Our laughing tree gets a touch-up every spring and greets me with a smile whenever I have to go out and face the world.
Link

10 Comments:

Blogger January said...

I'll be sure to read the review. Thanks for the picture and the post.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

I love the idea of a laughing tree!! It's so cute. And I'm sorry to hear about your colleague's illness.

1:00 AM  
Blogger Kim G. said...

I very well may need to find that book and read it as our beloved neighbor passed away this evening and already I can tell my daughter is struggling with her first real experience dealing with the death of a loved one. We haven't even told my son yet - he's the really sensitive one. He sobbed at the movie "Happy Feet" when they banished the misfit penguin.

Sorry to hear about your colleague. This seems to be a tough time of year for many families.

2:16 AM  
Blogger Lacithecat said...

"Fallen hard for an oak", how sweet!

For some reason I dont' get here very often but I think I need to come back more. I always seem to leave with a smile or a thought.

Thanks

3:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I adore every last word of this post and I love that you've painted the laughing tree, how delicious.

xo, k.

7:42 AM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

The laughing tree is terrific! And I'll go read the review.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

what a great way to say hello to the day- a reminder to smile.
how wonderful

11:50 PM  
Blogger nina beana said...

that tree is the best...

we have a tree face, but it's a premade one. i like the idea of just getting out there and making a tree face yourself!

1:13 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Your tree made me smile. Maybe when we own our home someday, i will make a point of painting a smile face lik ethat on our tree. That would be a good thing to see everyday.

I'll go read your review. The books sounds important.
ox

:)

11:21 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

Mmmm. Terrific idea: your family's laughing tree. :)
We needed to cut down trees for safety reasons. We all felt "ouch" as that happened.
I'll be reading your review after some shut eye. That synchronicity hit me. I can only imagine how it affects you.

3:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.