Monday, February 12, 2007

WILD WONDERFUL WEEKEND

There is so much I want to say about the weekend I just had, but I have a feeling that my words are too content and tired, like I am...

FRIDAY: I went into New York City to spend the afternoon with the one and only Laini, my first ever Internet-to-real-life meeting. We went to a wonderful organic veggie restaurant and over lunch started talking about words in one great gulp. After we ate, we wandered around the Chelsea neighborhood and eventually stumbled into a cafe for more conversation about writing, dreams, and life in general. When we said goodbye, I walked away convinced that Laini should start charging blocked and frazzled writers for chunks of time with her as cheerleader and guide. The enthusiasm she shows on her blog radiates out into life and left me feeling encouraged and inspired. Petunia and I cannot wait for her upcoming book release.





The other draw to NYC Friday was a meeting I had with a literary agent, which has given me forward momentum with my first project and increased the urgency of completing the second one. I don't know if she will ultimately end up representing me or not--but the interest she showed was another inoculation against creative self-doubt.





SATURDAY: As if that wasn't enough goodness to keep my spark going for a while, on Saturday M. and I went to see Sam Beam perform at a rural Pennsylvania college. This was one of the holiday gifts he gave to me (it was a very good year)--a night with Iron&Wine and time as a couple without three (beautiful!) children. I wrote at length here about what this music means to me, and I just cannot do the show justice in a brief paragraph here. The venue was intimate and Sam actually talked during the show about his new baby coming and the release of a fresh batch of songs in the Fall. He played many of them Saturday night--and they are every bit as luminescent and powerful as his music always is. I think every now and then, you discover an artist (whether visual, literary, or musical) who so articulates your inner landscape that it becomes what you wanted to say, what you needed to hear. Discovering the comfort of his song at the time in my life when I did only deepens it for me. I am--still--in awe.





SUNDAY: M. slept in and I wrote the morning away before we bundled off to lunch and the drive back home to our house full of little ones. The contrast between the Friday traffic going into the Lincoln Tunnel in NYC to Sunday's in Amish country gives a clear sense of the whirlwind of a weekend.





Now, I'm sinking deep into my writing projects (trying to finish the second one by April in my own little solitary sort of NaNoWriMo)...grateful for the view from the road I am traveling on...


Link

18 Comments:

Blogger Patry Francis said...

Love the photo of you and Laini. So excited about the interest from a literary agent! It WILL happen one way or another--and soon. xox

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been thinking of you all weekend and wondering how it all transpired. I can't tell you how disappointed I was not being able to meet you on Friday, truly disappointed, but it sounds like you had a fabulous time with Laini and your weekend, esp. your date night!!

I love the buggy photo and also the silos, which I have a thing for.

Congratulations on your forward momentum and also, the creative burst you're feeling. xo

11:27 AM  
Blogger claireylove said...

Mmmmm ~ fabulous buoyant weekend you've had Delia ~ your excitement and enthusiasm for your writing projects crackles off the page ~ infectious! (I hope ;-))

11:52 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

I am SO happy for you! I am EXCITED for you! I so, so beleive in your talent, Delia. I am cheering you on!

:)

3:01 PM  
Blogger nina beana said...

OMG this is great! i always love when i read that bloggie peeps get together in real life SLASH i-want-to-meet-you-too! (said in a whiny voice, of course). seriously goodish weekend, mama.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Oh yeah! It sounds so fun. i wish I had been able to meet you too.

Congrats for all the encouraging interest.

You are fabulous baby!

XO

8:26 PM  
Blogger Kim G. said...

Sounds like the perfect platform to jump off of to finish that project! Can't wait to see where you land with it and the day we can all read it. Have fun writing!

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that photo of you and Laini--I am so jealous that you got to meet each other. I can just imagine how wonderful the conversation was.

And I am so excited about the meeting with the literary agent. You are such a wonderful writer, It's going to happen for you.

12:10 AM  
Blogger January said...

Sounds like a great weekend, Delia. Good luck with the lit agent and your manuscript.

I am constantly amazed at how many blogging writers have new and exciting projects under way. I think 2007 is going to be another very good year.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

so much fun, D. You deserve perfect weekends.

your talent is amazing and I have no doubt that it is your destiny. I just love that I get to come here and drink it up in little bits and pieces.

xox
B

10:08 AM  
Blogger daisies said...

what a perfectly wonderful weekend!! yah :)

12:02 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Delia, sounds like an amazing weekend. Love the photo of you and Laini! Her enthusiasm is contagious, isn't it? I'm sure you'll get the agent situation sorted - you have so much talent. xo

1:58 PM  
Blogger [a} said...

Ooh, you met Laini! It must be amazing to meet someone from the "virtual world" in real life!
And you must be so happy to know that the agent is interested. I would be ecstatic just to know that "yes my work is worth something."

I'm in a "yay" sort of happy mood. I'm glad you are too! More sunshine!

7:13 PM  
Blogger Kimberley McGill said...

Hi Delia,

I recently read your piece in Sagewomen #70 and was totally captivated with your writing. It's not just the subject matter, though I can relate to it in many ways. The way you weave words is enchanting- but that word doesn't do it justice. One of my favorite authors is Louise Erdrich, I feel the same kind of "spirit" moving when I read your work.

You have inspired me to surrender to the page once again. At the moment each word I write seems to disintegrate before the ink is dry - but I keep moving my hand across the page.

What a wonderful weekend for you. Best wishes with your publishing efforts.

Bright Blessings to you and your beautiful family
Kimberley McGill

8:26 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

YAY that you and Laini got to meet! That's fabulous! And YAY again for renewed momentum!

12:44 AM  
Blogger Deirdre said...

What a wonderful, soul-nurturing weekend you had. And you got to meet Laini too! She radiates writing magic, as you do as well.

1:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a wonderful weekend! I love seeing you and Laini together. She is a sweet soul, as are you!
.... I LOVE Iron & Wine. Oh I want to live where you do. ;-)

8:48 AM  
Blogger gerry rosser said...

What a post! All sounds good, and you deserve it.
Happy Valentine's Day.
Not familiar with Sam Beam, but I'm a big singer-songwriter fan, so I'll look him up--maybe on iTunes?

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.