Monday, March 05, 2007

LOVE LETTER (and some photos)

Dear You,
I mentioned in my last post here that I may be a bit scarce in coming weeks to work on getting some projects done in preparation for an upcoming writer's conference. This love letter is to say thank you all for the supportive comments and insights on my writing you have been offering to me over the past year. I feel that such a deep sense of community has arisen for me out of this strange blogging exercise, completely unexpectedly. I have friends in faraway places who are also sharing and reflecting on life as they know it and the balances essential to living a wild, joyful, creative life. I have also experienced a creative "coming out" to my family and friends close by who may not have realized before reading along here just how all-consuming my dedication to my craft is. Each of you has tenderly supported me and I have become a reader of many beautiful, amazing, and INSPIRING blogs...a gift to me, a person who has loved to read published journals all her life. Before this medium was created, it was reading (mostly) of the published musings of the (often) dead white men who comprise the literary canon and their ideas about creating composed while they were on vacation or locked in their studies. From you, I have read about how (often) women find the room to create and live out loud with babies underfoot and jobs to manage, with a whole set of cultural expectations lodged firmly at your back. Jaw-dropping progress...your everyday acts of creativity, gratitude, and wonder.

This love letter is to thank you for existing out there, for writing your thoughts down about your life and keeping track of your history. It is also to tell you how grateful I am that you decided to share it in this "public" forum, even if at first it seemed silly or pointless. Then, for taking time out of all of that fullness to read along here and comment to me...I appreciate every word. It is also to say that over the weekend I unplugged myself from this computer. I took my (paper) notebooks and hit the road--refusing to check on any of my daily reads or to look at my Feedreader, though I really, really wanted to. I allowed one email check-in for my work email and my personal one, and set my nose to the grindstone on my work. I also have been reading this book (along with many of you). And one of the sections this week said:

"Most of us accomplish too little because we are expecting to accomplish too much. Daunted by the size of the task we wish to accomplish, we freeze up. We are defeated before we begin. And so, we do not begin...It is only when a creative career is broken down into daily increments that it becomes doable...Although we love them and even crave them, we do not really need vast savannahs of time to work at our art. What we need is a willingness to work at our art in the time we have actually got...What art form do you tell yourself you have no time for? Is it really true? When in your day can you find twenty minutes to spare? How do you kill time--TV? The phone--and can you stop doing that?" --Julia Cameron--

Though I don't like to think of it as "killing time", but spending it...I sat down and actually calculated the hours and minutes spent online versus the ones spent on my own writing work. I was shocked. I know what I said I wanted to be doing--if only I had more time, and then the reality didn't match up to my words. This weekend, Internet-free, I created more than twenty typed and edited pages, finished a notebook I'd been writing in since November (when my old quota, coming directly from this book--my first writing "bible", was to fill one per month), cleared through a section I'd been procrastinating on for I cannot even say how long, assembled my manuscript sections, typed up several poems, and sketched notes for another idea waiting in the wings for me down the line. My family and friends already have had to deal with my sometimes insular ways, my holy (kids all at school) hours never to be defiled, and my daydreaming--but then my Internet time has become expansive and filling. So now I'm asking you, if you are reading this--to support my writing (as you already have!) by understanding that March is going to be a quiet month from me. I won't be checking in on you as often, I won't be sharing my day-to-day here (though maybe some pictures). I won't be posting portraits or poems or scribblings either. It is just my way of finding the "other side" of these projects, especially "book one"--which I've been rambling about here for almost two years now.

Your kindness and comments will be missed while I'm winging my way across the page and I may be compelled to post or to "visit" with you here and there...I'm just trying to breathe life into my pages again. To not let procrastination and self-doubt steal my energies from where they're meant to go...thank you all for being "believing mirrors" for me, reflecting back with such a gentle glow. "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is..." --Albert Einstein-- I am seeing these little miracles everywhere now. Such a wide, vibrant space to be in. I wish you lots of luck as you look for your own miracles wherever you are...I'll "see" you in the the Spring!

Love,
Delia

WEEKEND PHOTO ALBUM:










Link

17 Comments:

Blogger Kimberley McGill said...

I've only been reading along for a couple of months, yet I know I will miss not having your presence as often. But I am thrilled for you as you surrender yourself to the work of your heart. When I discovered your blog (my intro to blogging at all)I was sparked back into my own writing. Thank you.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

We'll miss you, but I hope it's a wonderfully productive time for you.

I LOVE the photos!!!

2:54 PM  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

this is such a fertile and important time for you, my love, and i for one can't wait to see what happens.... in the meantime, my love letters will continue to wing their way to you :-) xxoo

3:12 PM  
Blogger Deirdre said...

I'm going to miss reading your words terribly and will check back often to see if you've snuck in a little blogging time. And I do so understand how the call of this community needs to be balanced with not only day to day life, but also the even stronger call of the muse. I haven't been posting, reading, or commenting as often because of my need to step more firmly into my more practical and organized self once again. Balance, it's all about balance.

3:51 PM  
Blogger daisies said...

writing down the bones was my first bible too :) i will miss reading you but when you pop up in my feedreader, i will smile and check you out even if it is months from now ... sending you lots of love for your creative fertile time ... it will be wonderful i am sure! hugs!

4:44 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Delia, will miss you, but I'm so pleased you're making a concert effort to be more productive and and create more beautiful writing! You're an inspiration! I have a friend who's an artist and she said if she has three hours a day to create art, she considers that a good day. And it's absolutely right that we spend so much time blogging and at the computer that time just vanishes before we've realised it. I applaud your concentration on your writing and look forward to seeing the fruition of some of your projects! Bonne chance et bonne courage, dear Delia. Love, Tara xo

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll miss you a lot, your words and photos are always a treat for me. I'm excited for this month of quiet time, you are an inspiration to me and I'm going to try to unplug myself a bit more as well.

xo

7:02 PM  
Blogger Ali Ambrosio said...

Delia,

I absolutely cannot wait to see what you will create during this period. I think this is such an important step. Unplugging a bit is something I need in my life as well. Good luck, and you will be greatly missed. :)

1:45 AM  
Blogger Kim G. said...

Godspeed in your writing journey. I think there are seasons in our writing as well as life and when it's time to sow and reap you must do it while you can. When the wells run dry and you need something to fill you back up, we'll be here when you come back - waiting to cheer you on! Take care!

2:43 AM  
Blogger nina beana said...

your commitment to yourself is amazing and inspiring. good luck on your journey!

9:05 AM  
Blogger claireylove said...

I'm behind you 110%, my sweet Delia. And your second letter arrived (though still no sign of the first...) as a much needed connection into the day to day life of a kindred writing and mothering spirit.

love and belief in all you do
x x x x x

11:32 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

Delia, you beautiful woman. Let me asure you that I will wait for you! And although I will will miss VERY much,-- and be so happy when you do have time to stop by-- I supprot you in writing that book. The sooner I can have my signed copy in my hands. ;)

I consider you a friend, and I care about you very much, my dear. I thank the blog gods I found you. Someday, we will meet in person, I know. Until then, I am here...As I know you are for me, when I need to spend time doing other things. Your support has meant a lot.

Love and Luck!

:)

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We'll miss you, but it sounds like you'll have a wonderfully productive time.

I am THISCLOSE to doing something similar...I am inspired by you!

12:55 AM  
Blogger angela said...

the way that so many of us are living parallel lives, it just amazes me.
all my best to you :)

7:18 PM  
Blogger riversgrace said...

Delia, I've been visting via Amber, and feel very kindred to your life and soulful pursuits. Blessings for the quiet and the focus for your projects.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

yes, I'm missing you.
can't wait for you to come back and tell us some tales of your adventures :)
Vx

8:15 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

Just checking on you and sending love your way.

:)

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.