Thursday, April 12, 2007

EVENING FRAGMENT for Poetry Thursday



fragment (untitled)

The Evening held her breath, and then
let night lick a trail of stars down her spine--
yielding like Daytime said she would
with purple smudged eyes,
a bored yawn,
and her heart too splintered by constant goodbyes to care anymore.

Or, that's what she said
to Evening's roseblue face
as she ripened over the aging afternoon,
staining the sky's edge with the filament of her touch...

But, she meant something else,
meant to say,
"Night will leave you
to come back to me anyway...
just like he always does,
wedded to my sunrise."

These words never left her mouth...
just that yawn
and a sky-full of mourning doves.

--CDS, 2007--

This fragment was written for a Poetry Thursday exercise where we "borrowed" a line offered by another poet and included it in our work. So I thank Pauline for her line "Evening held (it's) breath, and then"...for this little poetry fragment. To see what others came up with (and to read my feature if you haven't yet), head on over...Remember, April is (inter)National Poetry Month! Poetry matters...it matters quite a lot to all of us who live, breathe, and try to bear witness to this world we share.
Link

12 Comments:

Blogger angie said...

That's beautiful, Delia. I love the personification, the words "lick a trail of stars down her spine", and the ending, especially.

I'd love to see the poem from which you donated your line to mine! :)

8:32 PM  
Blogger sage said...

I enjoyed your poem and the photo was perfect--mine was similar, with an after sunset shot and words about the end of the day

9:27 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

What wonders you've done with that line! Loved the yawn at the end - and this: "Night will leave you
to come back to me anyway...
just like he always does,
wedded to my sunrise."

Lovely photo, too.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Rethabile said...

I borrowed your line, and used it here: "Without It I'm a Boy"

I had hesitated on the line you've borrowed here for your magnificent rendition. The image you paint is vivid as can be.

2:59 AM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

Lovely, especially the line 'let night lick a trail of stars down her spine'

4:13 AM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

"Night will leave you
to come back to me anyway...
just like he always does,
wedded to my sunrise."

Beautiful lines...

Great use of Pauline's line too in this poem.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Deb R said...

You integrated the borrowed line seamlessly and the poem is beautiful. It's somehow both sensuous and sad.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Deirdre said...

The colors of sunrise and sunset have filled my eyes while reading this. Beautiful...as always.

11:35 AM  
Blogger daisies said...

oh delia ... this is indeed magical, i read it aloud just now to someone else who gasped as well ..

your feature was / is amazing and i have been emailing it to every non blogging poet i know :)

2:40 PM  
Blogger Beaman said...

Beautiful piece. I admire your use of imagery. Your structure is pretty good too. Very enjoyable read. :)

4:57 PM  
Blogger Marcia (MeeAugraphie) said...

I love your poem's ending as much as I was excited at "lick a trail of stars down her spine."

10:26 PM  
Blogger rdl said...

Loved your poem. Great article too.

12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.