Tuesday, April 24, 2007

QUIET SPRING



(self-portrait)


The sky today is overlaid with clouds, but humid and warm. How I love this weather...Along the edge of this morning, the sky was purple ribboned with gold. I sat, pen in hand--children still sleeping, and watched as the sky tugged at those laces and the sun spilled out from between the clouds. Just a glimpse, just a flash of sun for one sultry moment. Then, sober again, the ribbon pulled taut--a straight-edged band of glowing light ringing the whole sky.

I love coming downstairs and the windows are edged open. I blink into the light because it is too beautiful to believe. I feel like I've been set free, when just a week ago I was submerged beneath the cold temperatures and the concern for my sick child. We are back to our family routines again...I am back to my writing routines again. So much to say and I am still aloft--defying gravity. My mood echoing the season's--bright, luminous green, and wild.

In recent weeks, three kindhearted bloggers have nominated me for a Thinking Blogger Award. The fact that all of you take the time to read means so much to me. As a writer, I often wonder about people who read my words--did they come across? Did they speak out as they should? This has been one interesting thing with blogging--unlike with published pieces, there is instant feedback. I am always aware that there is an audience and this shifts my process in very interesting ways. With the nomination, I am supposed to pick five other blogs to highlight that make me think. There are so many different blogs I read...but I am choosing to focus on the literary ones that drew me into blogging in the first place and keep me informed. They have always made me think and they continue to even now:

* Joy Harjo is an amazing poet...her words break against me and open me up. She blogs here.
*Gayle Brandeis book, Fruitflesh (which I've recommended far and wide to everyone I can think of), started me thinking about writing and the body back in 2002. I have read her blog, Fruitful, ever since.
*Jennifer Lauck maintains an insightful blog about discovery, hope, and writing here.
*I read Literary Mama's blog and stay current on what is happening with the business of mothering and writing.
*The story of how Ami McKay came to write this book so fascinated me that I visit her blog regularly to imbibe any magic she may have for the writing process.

However insightful these blogs above are, I know I might have abandoned this one a long time ago had it not been for the kind comments and stories you've shared with me. However you came to read here--I am grateful for it. A soft breeze is kicking up now, and the day will not be denied any longer. I'm off again now to taste that blooming light...if I am quiet here this spring, I hope you'll give these others a read and find inspiration there, in the sunrise view from your own window, and the flowers just waiting to spill their stories open, do you hear them?
Link

12 Comments:

Blogger jenica said...

i always read because your words move and inspire me. keep it up girlie!

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you write beautifully! and i really like the picture. :)

2:44 PM  
Blogger claireylove said...

Your picture is something else ~ lips sealed with a bloom ~ AMAZING!!!

(And however you came to post here I am SO grateful for too. Really. SO much.)

love xox

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely photo, xo

I know just that feeling, of coming down the stairsin the early morning hours and spotting the sunlight dancing across my floors, I just stand there and watch the wonderful show...wondering if I am still dreaming. Four days in a row of sunlight...pinch me.
much love to you dear one! xoxo

8:22 PM  
Blogger Melanie Margaret said...

I am in need of some inspiration right now...thank you for your words here and the links.

XO,
Melba

9:58 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

That photo is incredibly beautiful!

12:30 AM  
Blogger daisies said...

such a gorgeous photo full of spring light's beauty ...

you are one of my biggest inspirations and so i thank you for sharing the links of your inspirations :)

12:34 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Spencer said...

your words are dreamy and beautiful, just as the photo is... lovely!

9:49 AM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Very artistic Delia!

11:33 AM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Fabulous photo and post - and yes, you are a thinking blogger and I love reading your work. xo

6:12 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Congrats! Few are as good. ;)

:)

12:32 AM  
Blogger L said...

I just wanted to say that when you wrote this I had already "nominated" you, but I didn't have time to write my post. I just wrote it, though, so you have officially received this award again! :) Feel free to pass it on to 5 more people! You're in fact entitled to 15 more, since you only did 5 here ;)

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.