Thursday, May 03, 2007

I HAVE BEEN...





*outside...taking long walks around the neighborhood counting flowers and turning down the volume in my own mind to listen to the calls of nesting birds. I say hello to the man and woman who walk six rescued greyhounds at dusk, nod to an older woman with perfectly coiffed silver hair who speeds by in her crimson sneakers, and wave back to the toddler twins who exuberantly shake their palms as they watch me go by, enjoying the coming evening with their blind parents on their wind-chime-laden front porch.
*outside...re-setting the channel of riverstones along our garden beds, getting the herb garden ready for M.'s fragrant summer meals, fretting over my lavender bushes who seem reluctant to rise from the bitter burn of February and late-starting spring.
*outside...reading books on a blanket, including this one which is making me dream in rows of seedlings and ears of corn. I had a moment's pause two days ago when I looked up from it on the sundrenched deck to see M. reading his guitar magazine, Petunia deep in her Harry Potter, Boy-o chortling over this, and Rosie--who cannot read officially just yet, scanning the pages of her new favorite. I would be lying if I didn't say I was sitting in the exact family I'd always wanted to create...as a reading teacher, writer, and book reviewer--could there be a more perfect version of family togetherness for me? (It isn't always dappled sunlight and book-love, of course...)
*writing...I have finished five full sections of new and re-written text since Friday afternoon, sitting out there with my manuscript, my notebook, and a fast-writing black ink pen. I've written two poems, revised one essay, and journaled every morning before sunrise to start my day in the right frame of mind.
*working on...setting up a new writing space in our bedroom. School ends for Rosie in just three short weeks and I will be banished from my writing center station (the kitchen table with its tree-lined view) for more sequestered space for the season.
*reflecting...on my eleventh wedding anniversary with M. tomorrow. I was a college girl-bride with a baby in her belly and flowers in her hair...he was a long-haired, round-faced boy-groom who proposed to me by saying he wanted nothing more in the world than to be a family with me. The day we wed, the flowering cherry trees were raining torrents of pink petals and the sky was a cloudless blue. It remains the best decision of my life to say "yes" and then "I do".
*living...as best I can with a full heart until the day I end up where I'd like to:

HERE
by Grace Paley

Here I am in the garden laughing
an old woman with heavy breasts
and a nicely mapped face

how did this happen
well that's who I wanted to be

at last--a woman
in the old style--sitting
stout thighs apart under
a big skirt--grandchild sliding
on--off my lap--a pleasant
summer perspiration

that's my old man across the yard
he's talking to the meter reader
he's telling him the world's sad story
how electricity is oil or uranium
and so forth--I tell my grandson
run over to your grandpa--ask him
to sit beside me for a minute--I
am suddenly exhausted by my desire
to kiss his sweet explaining lips

Labels:

Link

24 Comments:

Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

You never fail to move me with your writing. That poem at the end was like frosting on the cake. Enchanting!

12:16 PM  
Blogger angela said...

the reading family, yes perfection buttered in sunshine :)
we love the worm diary here, haven't caught up with spider yet.

cheers to beautiful wedding day memories and poems that brim eyes with happy tears!

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so overcome with emotions these days - reading here always makes me teary in a good way. You inspire me D, I would like to be more tenacious and present with my journaling. Lately it's fallen flat as the hub-bub of everyday life completely overwhelms. Perhaps I should haul my booty outside more and appreciate instead of ruminate.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

I love the picture of the cherry flowers falling in your moment. That is just so...romantic! I also love the picture of your kids reading books. LOVE that. ;)

As always your writing is a treat for all of us.

:)

1:42 PM  
Blogger strauss said...

Everything about that post was wonderful, once again. The words, the imagery, the reflective joy that gorgeous poem at the end. All the best with your manuscript.

4:51 PM  
Blogger daisies said...

i love those moments when i realize that i am in a reading family, sunlight strewn across our lives ...

have a wonderful anniversary :) your love sounds magical as it should be ...

5:23 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

This is such a great, inspiring post - the image of all your children reading is brilliant! I would have been thrilled to bits too.

7:42 PM  
Blogger January said...

Happy anniversary! This is such a lovely post. It sounds like you've finding balance between work, home, and your creative natute--now that's inspirational.

And the Grace Paley poem is fabulous!

7:59 PM  
Blogger Regina said...

Oh, goodness- how beautiful. Your writing and the poem you shared... I want to be able to be as that woman, "exhausted by my desire
to kiss his sweet explaining lips"- gosh, how perfect...

8:47 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

such an endearing, full and beautiful post, Delia.
the family portrait you paint, the writing progress you're making, the reminiscing and, oh my god, that beautiful poem.
a joy. thank you.
love to you,
Vx

9:04 PM  
Blogger Shaz said...

So Beautiful, Happy Anniversery. x

12:00 AM  
Blogger claireylove said...

Your words have fed me deeply this morning, as I check in with you before I travel to the sea...

...and have a wonderful anniversary this weekend ~ thinking of you.

xoxox

3:12 AM  
Blogger Rob Kistner said...

Absolutely delightful!

--and so it goes--
...Rob

3:32 AM  
Blogger jenica said...

congrats on all of the beautiful moments and the decision you make daily to live your life with fullness.

3:36 AM  
Blogger Lilian said...

Happy Wedding Anniversary for you!!! My 12th anniversary was last December. We had just finished college (barely days before the wedding) when we got married... But we waited 7 years for the baby :)

Oh, what a lovely sight - your whole family reading together! That's precisely what I envision for ours some years ahead, and I hope it happens.

Oh, before I forget, I nominated you for another Thinking Blogger Award, so you can choose five more blogs to pass this little "token" on! :) (my post about that is the third right now, from May 2).

10:30 PM  
Blogger Jim Brock said...

Isn't it a gift, to praise happy things . . . .

11:00 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

An engaging image--thanks for letting me see it.

11:52 PM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

You have a way with words. And thanks for posting that poem too. It suits the mood.

gautami
Inertia

1:44 AM  
Blogger bee said...

yum.

this fills my soul.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Melanie Margaret said...

This is such a perfect post. So relatable. So inspiring and ringing so true.
anda perfect poem too.
I wish you a summer of love.
XOXO,
Melba

5:30 PM  
Blogger Kim G. said...

The pictures of your days are perfect! I'm so glad you shared them. I love the idea of your family reading together. My daughter and I are the readers, the boys don't have much patience for it. Great to hear about all the progress on your writing.

2:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

what a perfectly pleasant life. What a perfectly wonderful family.

did you know that we have the exact same anniversary? May 4, 1996, right? The best decision I've ever made, too.

xox
B

10:25 PM  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

So glad the writing is spilling out of you in such a torrent -- how wonderful! And that family portrait of readers on the deck, it's wonderful! Happy anniversary, too!

12:13 AM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

I loved that - especially the stout thighs big skirt line. Loved it.

It sounds like you are getting a lot of writing done. That makes me smile.

I imagine you on the sun dressed porch with your family-and it is a lovely image.

XOXOXO

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.