Wednesday, May 16, 2007

THE LITTLE THINGS














"...I became a writer instead--a work no less tiring, really, and requiring the same inclination to listen with a hand pressed to the holy bone, to hear the thrum of the body and all it longs to tell. As I wrote, I found myself mapping a history of myself as a history of my body: my female body, with all its scars and beauty marks, its imperfect love beating away inside the chest...The body knows a language the mind never wholly masters..."
--Brenda Miller, 2002--

Other things beyond the body know a language the mind never wholly masters: basil plants content to grow in whatever soil they're planted, clematis vines always reaching for the light, unexpected blossoms who don't ask to be told they are beautiful, and diamonds that emerge from even the flimsiest of knots.
Link

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at your knitting D, I thought you were a beginner!!
I love the light shafing down and that basil...sigh.

2:14 PM  
Blogger claireylove said...

It is no easy task to grow basil ~ not over hear anyhow :) It is the Italian in your fingers, perhaps? And your sunshine yellow knitting is beautiful too (sigh).

Thinking of you xox

4:02 PM  
Blogger Shaz said...

Looks just like my basil seedlings it grows like a weed here. Very cool

11:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the little things.

xo

7:21 AM  
Blogger Deirdre said...

I've been away from your writing for a couple weeks - oh, it's good to be back. Yes, the little things seem to be what count the most in the long run.

I'm trying basil again this year, and cilantro too. Maybe this time...

12:56 PM  
Blogger January said...

Basil and tomatoes signal summer for me. Beautiful pictures and words.

It's amazing how we can grow anywhere, no matter what the conditions. Gives me hope for the future.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Melanie Margaret said...

I saw the first pic and thought what beautiful basil. I hope it is yummy for you too.

XO,
melba

5:32 PM  
Blogger daisies said...

your photos are so beautiful, little pieces of poetic life and that yellow makes my heart soar ... i am watching sprouts in my containers of yummy smelling herbs as i dig in the dirt of my yard feeling complete ... it really is all about the little things most days :)

xox

7:16 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Look what you can make! That is very cool, you. And I could almost smell that basil.

You sound a little down...Hope you are okay. You can always email me. ;)

:)

12:47 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Those basil leaves look so "new" don't they? And the chives are so fragrant and tasty... mine are getting out of control! And my young clematis vine, despite its poor location, has been surprising me too :) I would feel right at home in your garden!
Vx

6:02 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Lovely! I have some basil just like that...it's amazing what a miracle sun and water are...

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.