Sunday, May 13, 2007

SECOND CHANCES





Joe
Some mornings, the weight pressed down on me before I even opened my eyes and the ache of my bones foretold of a journey.
“Hell no,” was the first thought, “too much to do right now down at Baylor’s—gotta earn the extra cash while summer’s in full swing here. No distractions.”
Opened my eyes and yes, I was pinned to the pillow. A distraction. I was leaving here, going down to pick up the girl I left and make a relationship happen, mending what my daughter called broken—just as Robyn suggested for years.
This day the trip began. I tried to talk myself out of it, even as I climbed from bed and threw open the dresser drawers. She might have missed her plane. She might have decided I’m as worthless as I’ve felt all these years, and tell me she’s coming just to let me be the one stuck waiting for a change.
“Robyn,” I called out to the empty house. That feeling of emptiness—she’d gone to hike in the foothills of the Sangres. When she returned, I’d already be gone. Only I was surprised by the magnetic draw of the past. Two days earlier she’d said,
“Joe, you’re going to have to set things right,” when she caught me staring at the crumpled letter Iris sent.
I had to go. I left the dog, though he raced out to the truck bed.
“No King,” I told him, “Not this time. Stay here and watch our girl today.”
Even the dog was less surprised than me. He turned to go without looking back, which I’d never manage. The note for Robyn left behind, the key turned in the ignition and I realized I was in migration.
“Robyn,” I called out the window one more time. Scanning the mountains that comprise our horizon, I didn’t expect to see her but was disappointed anyway.
I slipped the truck in gear and felt the dust and rocks spit up behind in the distance. Robyn remained lost in the New Mexico landscape…and I was a rock thrown from the mountain by an invisible hand, flying from silence to silence to make it up to my children, a thin bird of the air.
Link

13 Comments:

Blogger claireylove said...

YES!

I want more ~ even better if you read it to me :)

hugs xoxox

3:15 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Awesome!

From a fan. xxoo

Happy Mother's Day!

3:47 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Terrific read, Delia. Bonne Fete Maman! xo

5:14 PM  
Blogger January said...

Great post, Delia! You are so talented no matter which media or genre you attempt.

Happy Mother's Day, my dear! Enjoy.

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A wonderful start - I want more!
Thanks for sharing.
Have a splendiferous week :)
Frances

8:57 PM  
Blogger Shaz said...

Oh YeH more more more,

12:33 AM  
Blogger daisies said...

oh yes : )

i had to read it twice, the second time aloud as the words spilled into the air ... wonderful!

:)

12:58 PM  
Blogger Melanie Margaret said...

interesting...


I hope you had a lovely day on Sunday. You are a beautiful Mama and writer and friend.

xoxo,
Melba

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! More please. I love any story that starts with the character name - I feel like the story has a lot of different layers, knowing I'll get the story of the other characters in the same way.

10:31 AM  
Blogger tiffini elektra x said...

Oh wow - wonderful - you are so good! I want more too!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

I feel for this voice. I connect with this person. I want to know more.
Keep going...

12:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow, how quickly one can become attached to a character/person is strange. I want to know Joe's story!

xo

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is really good.

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.