Tuesday, May 22, 2007

WISHES





I gave her a penny as we stood by the ornate fountain with its arcs of water shooting over the heads of unsuspecting cement horses. She marveled at its shine while I marveled over the year, a decade before she was even born or imagined. She insisted that I make my wish first, which I did in silence.
"Good job wishing, Mommy," she said, and I nodded in agreement--knowing how lucky it is that I have so little left to wish for.
"My turn!" she boomed.
She clutched the penny in both hands, cradling it close to her heart and closing her eyes in concentration. After several deep breaths, she threw it in, crying out,
"My wish is for everyone in the world to be happy!"
The coin gleamed from the dark bottom of the fountain, but she just clapped her hands, said, "I'm so excited for that!" and then followed me away through the parking lot. My eyes blurred with sunglare and fullness just for knowing her...

So, get out there and be happy today. A little girl I love wished it for you...
Link

16 Comments:

Blogger daisies said...

this brought tears to my eyes ~ don't worry, they are happy tears :)

i am going to get out there and be happy, i have a half hour of work to finish up and then the sunlight and me, we have a date!! wishes should all come true, thank her from me for her lovely wish that lifted my heart :)

5:50 PM  
Blogger claireylove said...

This is so beautiful.

Tell your Rosie her wish is coming true in the fairytale land of England too :)

(((hugs)))

5:06 AM  
Blogger Moonroot said...

Wow - I read your post and it worked! Please thank your daughter for me.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Shaz said...

What a beautiful wish...I felt it here in Australia also.

6:51 AM  
Blogger angela said...

absolutely precious.
it worked for me too up here in Maine:)

8:20 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

Well, *thats* why yesterday was so nice! ;)

Lovely little story of your sweetness. You wrote it like you do-- so good, I felt like I was watching.

Bless her heart.

:)

11:55 AM  
Blogger Lacithecat said...

Oh that was adorable! And I am slightly tipsy (read blog) ... I am even misty-eyed.

Tell her that someone got her wish.

2:04 PM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

That was so beautiful...

2:19 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Thank you angel girl!

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a happy day indeed (Happy Mail!), so you can tell your sweet daugher that her wish came true over here in Germany. xo

6:29 PM  
Blogger Mindy said...

o.k. i am weepy now. it really doesn't get any sweeter than that! i'm all about the wishes - and filled with such simple and beautiful wisdom. thank you for sharing such a magical moment :) you really inspire me as a mom...xo,mindy

9:28 AM  
Blogger Claire said...

That's beautiful!

Cxx

11:15 AM  
Blogger Jana B said...

Awwww... that's precious!!! I'm definately feeling the joy! Of course, the fact that it's the start of a 3-day weekend could have something to do with that...

10:26 AM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

What a precious gift your daughter is - enjoy every moment! And thanks for sharing a little of the magic. xo

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you. xoxo

6:00 PM  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

my eyes are blurring too xxx

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.