Tuesday, June 05, 2007

ENVIRONMENT: a self-portrait



(barefoot in clover, the ninth moment of my day)

The first: Rosie calling out, "Dad!" from her bed. His eyes fly open and he goes to her...she asks if he'll please rock her in the rocking chair now--which answers the question of my last moment yesterday before sleep. (M. worrying because she will not let him close to her lately and me replying, "It's just a stage, it will pass. You know that, right?") He is running behind schedule for work after this rocking chair session--but he wouldn't have missed it for the world.

The second: descending the stairs to set the kettle on for tea.

The third: sitting at the table with my journal writing: "Still a silvery sky, though there is no rain. Small seams of blue skirt the edges like flared hemlines--a yellow haze, like Prufrock's fog--lingers, though it has yet to rattle the window panes or curl about the house. The first two blooms ever have opened on the clematis vine--this was its last chance year, none of the others before have seen it flower or grow. They are inky purple-dark--like distant stars with their pointed tips. A candle flickers on the table now--the struggling refrigerator hums to the level of distraction. Chai by my left hand, legs tucked up beneath me, eyes heavy from sleep and dreams of trying to divide my life into four-grid segments, plotting it all out on paper--like it is just that easy." (These, my first words of the day)

The fourth: finishing my journal and diving into the manuscript--writing half-awake lets me dodge my inner critics (who like to sleep until noon).

The fifth: getting Petunia up for school--she is sleeping Indian-style and wakes to say, "I dreamt again of fairies in the garden." (These, her first words of this day).

The sixth: getting her breakfast started and hearing the details of said-dream, plus updates on the horror story she and her friend, Diego, are creating in school (she's the writer, he's the illustrator).

The seventh: waking boy-o up for school--he stretches and uncoils, blinking at me bleary-eyed, his dandelion puff of hair standing on end in a dozen different directions. "Three days after this until summer," he whispers (his first sentence today).

The eighth: watching them board the school bus after our whirlwind of morning routines, a smile rising as Petunia remembers as they approach the steps that it is his turn to sit by the window and she pauses, pushes him ahead of her, and pats his head when she doesn't even know I'm watching.

The ninth: taking photos of my flowerbeds, grapevines, and blueberry bushes (ripening--if only I can keep the birds off of them). Catching this shot of my foot in the clover and sighing aloud...I have waited a long time for this heady, blossoming, barefoot season.
Link

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

there's nothing better than barefeet in clover. lovely D. xoxo

10:53 AM  
Blogger Marc AndrĂ© BĂ©langer said...

I never understood the whole grass lawn thing. Give me clover any day. It's so much more fun, looks better, and doesn't need mowing, doesn't take as much water, is better at fighting off weed. And when it flowers, there's nothing like it. (Plus, it tastes good)

12:09 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

You can take an ordinary day and make it extraordinary and poetic. Lovely

1:00 PM  
Blogger Deirdre said...

Your awareness of the moments is inspiring. And your first words of the day - delicious.

1:26 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

The photo was so colorful - I absolutely adore clover.. and I love your polish with the toering mixed in.. it gives it a touch of whimsy. But all your paragraphs were colorful in their own right - silvery, flowery - beautiful world!

1:49 PM  
Blogger Suzie Ridler said...

Very sensual with a touch of alternative, LOVE it!

1:51 PM  
Blogger Jeremy Stockwell said...

Cool shot. I'm not one for walking barefoot at all (ouch!), but even on the hottest days, clover always feels so cool and soft. Nice job!

2:52 PM  
Blogger jenica said...

just catching up on your blog. you have such a talent with words; you command those letters so gently.

i love the glimpse into your life and the minds of your children. so sweet.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Mindy said...

such sweet moments for all of you to share...i can smell the tea and hear the school bus like i am a part of your morning :) and that rocking chair time - so heartwarming!

10:12 PM  
Blogger daisies said...

barefoot in clover is the best as are early morning words sinking into journals as fuzzy heads awake ... beautiful ... xox

11:49 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

That's a beautiful shot, Delia! The clover looks so lush and your foot looks lovely with the nail polish and the toe ring!

1:44 AM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

That is one great shot! I love walking barefoot.

10:21 AM  
Blogger January said...

Sounds like the perfect morning!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Oh, these are great moments. Thank you for letting us "see" them. ;) Your words are WONDERFUL! And Petunia's words make me smile, an dwish I were her for a dream or two...

:)

8:30 PM  
Blogger Melanie Margaret said...

After reading your posts I just want to breathe you in.

I love how I can see your movements.
:)
XO,
melba

2:14 AM  
Blogger Michelle (a.k.a. la vie en rose) said...

thank you letting me be a part of your lovely, and very poetic, morning

2:18 PM  
Blogger Lacithecat said...

Oh ... the clover is lovely, but its the words (as usual on your blog) that make me smile. Even you children have a magical touch.

Why am I not surprised.

4:12 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Delia, you've brought back a few memories of being barefoot in clover -literally and figuratively. Your writing is just so lyrical. That's what I think every time I read your posts. xo

5:48 PM  
Blogger angela said...

yes, it's finally barefoot time here. i loved reading through your a.m, lots of little moments like mine :)

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.