Monday, June 25, 2007

Out into the Environment





My writing has been hiding...
*on the leaves blown down from a thunderstorm.
*in the scarred kitchen table where words have been spilled by me more often than I can say.
*in the soft wilting of the thirsty basil plant.
*in the creases on a well-loved book's face.
*in black ink Pilot rolling ball V7 pens.
*in the birdsong in the trees out back.
*in the belly laugh of my little girl.
*in the way M. kisses me.
*in the lace of foam that scatters itself along the edges of the sand.
*in antique papers I visited with a full heart and curious mind.
*in the lavender beds outside, intoxicating bees with such lusciousness.
*in the occasional silent spaces spiraling through this house.
*in the freckles on my older girl's cheekbones, her own personal constellation.
*in the countless battles my boy-o wages to keep me safe from invisible enemies, no matter how I try to tell him I can fight for myself.
*in their imperfect smiles.
*in their tears and scowls.
*in my bones, in blooms, in stars, in skies.

Summer now means long days and longer nights, an abandonment of the computer screen for the tall grass, writing in notebooks outside--my spine nestled against a tree's, hikes and day trips and weddings and impromptu s'mores sessions. It also means deadlines and busy teaching schedules, children home from the sequestered school environment and decidedly underfoot, to-do lists that grow like weeds in the garden beds...sometimes I can ignore them--other times, I cannot. Until I can get back here again, I offer another poem of mine, called "Zen Dreams", published this week here. (If you are longing to dodge the computer yourself, a regular paper copy of the magazine can be bought here. It also features interviews with Janet Evanovich, Jill Soloway, and Ami McKay--whose writing I simply adore--plus other columns, reviews, poems, and short fiction pieces about motherhood. Am I incredibly grateful for two poetry publications in as many weeks, or what?)

The first official Summer full moon is on Saturday--go out there and celebrate the Rose Moon (Colonial American), Lotus Moon (Chinese), Windy Moon (Choctaw), Moon of Horses (Celtic), Dyan Moon (English Medieval), or Flying Fish Moon (New Guinea). Without a doubt, my writing will be hiding there as well...what will you find?
Link

14 Comments:

Blogger Michelle (a.k.a. la vie en rose) said...

pure poetry!

2:29 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Beautiful poetic writing, Delia - and a great photo to boot! Sounds like you're enjoying your summer. xo

4:33 PM  
Blogger daisies said...

:)

there is something so beautiful about all the tall grass smells of lavender's summer sky ... beautiful words! xox

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your words are so delicious D, a perfect list of ways to get lost. xo

6:44 PM  
Blogger Andromeda Jazmon said...

Sounds lovely! I tagged you with a meme today, if you feel like playing.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Deirdre said...

Your description of summer is even more beautiful than the real thing.

11:13 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I do love the writing, and your descriptions of summer. It does tend to draw me further away from the computer - as well it should.

I was interested in the moons.. I didn't completely understand. If you have a free second will you let me know when the Choctaw moon is? Maybe this is a silly question and it isn't an actual moon. Or the rose moon?

Hugs.

4:11 AM  
Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

Thanks to all of you for the kind comments!

Holli, all of the names I shared here are for the June full moon (which will be this Saturday night), each cultural group had/has their own name for it (this list only mentions a few). Every full moon has its own set of names--there are some very interesting ones. Any book on lunar myth and folklore would have more, if you're interested, or you could do an Internet search as well. Hope that makes more sense!
Love,
D.

9:39 AM  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

i love these images of where the writing hides...simply beautiful.

congratulations on another poem being published! i am off to read it now.

blessings to you,
liz

11:31 AM  
Blogger Patry Francis said...

My writing has been hiding, too, but not in such beautiful places as yours has been. Amazing photo, too.

P.S. Congrats on all your publishing success. It's just the beginning...

11:32 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Your words are so very soothing and beautiful. Congratulations! XXOO

1:40 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

That photo is SO beautiful!!

1:42 PM  
Blogger angela said...

beautiful words, and congrats on the published poem.
happy summer to you and yours :)

2:16 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

It does and I will look it all up - thanks!!!

xoxo

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.