Sunday, August 26, 2007

BACK TO...


1. Writing Table, 2. A school, 3. words on board, 4. Score: 92, date:2/14, 5. Untitled, 6. New Word Wall, 7. School's Out, 8. The Little Yellow Bus......., 9. words [school project], 10. SCHOOL Time Capsule, 11. school, 12. Literacy wall word search


Goodbye to children sleeping in, tousle-headed and full of mysterious dreaming...to lazy days poolside, a unique perfume of chlorine and sunblock on the skin...to late night ice cream stand runs, cones dripping in chocolate rivulets over tanned wrists...to unbrushed hair and mismatched clothes...to afternoons lost in the library stacks, each with a pile of books on the floor around them...to counting butterflies in the echinacea and lavender...to hours spent in blanket forts with pillow floors and coloring books to weather the hottest part of the day...to catching fireflies, naming each one in turn and then letting them go with a sorrow as if the fragile winged-creatures had actually been true family pets...to days in pajamas in the air-conditioned quiet...to racing bikes down the street until sweat poured down and, pink-cheeked and breathing hard, they came inside again to have water ice...Goodbye to our seamless empty days--belonging to us in abundant time and infinite possibility.

Around here, summer is over tomorrow. I get that sinking feeling...I am going to miss it more than I can say.
Link

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautifully evocative poem of summer. Thank you.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

Lovely collage!

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved your words and images - perfect capture of the last summer days. We have another week here and I'm torn between reverie and exhaustion with trying to entertain and cram it all in.

11:17 AM  
Blogger daisies said...

wonderful ... the memories dance in front of me in longing but even though i have been forced to move on to thoughts of red orange yellow crisp delights singing in a pumpkin squash baked smile of cozy comforted fire ... : )

loved this!! xox

12:51 PM  
Blogger Lacithecat said...

Smile ...

If I were a kid, I would want to live in your house! And alas, we did not have a summer and I still feel a bit greedy for some sunshine.

That was a fun post

5:55 PM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Nice collage! And good writing. I, too, get a lengthy sinking feeling at the end of summer. Sob.

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't ask me, don't ask me! Exactly how I feel when I have to get back to TEACHING after vacations.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

This is poetry. Amazing! Oh, what wonderful rich images.

"a unique perfume of chlorine and sunblock on the skin"-- Mmmmmm, I love this smell! I was just thinking yesterday, when I got a wif of Georgia, how I was going to miss this smell over the winter.

:)

11:00 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

This was a heart warming post!

2:56 PM  
Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

I miss it! I do, I do!
Love,
D.

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.