Friday, September 28, 2007

POSTCARD 3: pumpkin power



There is something about the autumn season where I feel more renewed, encouraged, inspired, and yes--more powerful--than any other time of year. Rather than feeling like the end of something to me it is a chance to start over...the heat-induced stupor gone, the wildies back in school, the structure I need to support my messy creative mind fixed securely back in place once again. I want to remember this next year in July when I'm feeling baked and tired and unable to string together enough words to form a sentence, let alone a paragraph. I want to remember it so that I can just let summer be about breathing, relaxing, and resting--when I try to push against that, as I did this year, I find myself increasingly frustrated and overwhelmed with the splintered break between what I am doing and what I think I should be getting done, which is something else entirely.

Autumn is my chance to reclaim myself, my time to write, and the quiet swaths of time that give me strength. Obviously, finishing my book is the first and foremost thing I plan to do (so close, have I mentioned lately again how close I am?) ...but I was recently tagged to think a bit more about what I want to do this fall. So here goes...

I want to finish knitting this because I've created a new bag design for myself (I'm just a little bit excited about the idea because it combines my love of knitting with my love of this) and I am experimenting on working it up with this.

I want to read this, this, this, definitely this...as well as re-reading this, this, and another favorite, this (if you add this to your fall reading list, you won't be sorry--I promise you). I also have a few additional books of poems for review I'm working my way through--such deliciousness.

I plan to listen to this so much it drives people around here crazy. (Which will only be fueled by the fact that I am going here too this weekend as a belated birthday gift from M.) If you don't already know about my devotion, go here.

I will be packing my bags (and helping a few others to do the same) for our trip here in two weeks.

Planning to carve up some of these (a few white ones for a change)...hoping M. starts making his own secret version of this--which is amazing...drinking plenty of these--the annual tradition I started up again on Wednesday night, also known as the night of this.

Watching plenty of this--which might just surprise you about me...but, trust me I could sing this in my sleep.

I will be finishing up painting my bathroom in a color close to this (noticing a theme yet?). Then, it will be outside to get that painted too before it looks like this.

I am going to read my complimentary copy of this because I admire her for elevating motherhood as an art form...and because a poem of mine appears in the same pages and online here.

I am going to revel in the fall--I am going to let myself sit and drink cups of tea with books perched on my lap and a notebook splayed open before me. I am going to admire the changing leaves, rake them up, and then jump in. I hope to write some good old-fashioned letters and spend less time with my computer. Taking long walks in the woods, taking deep breaths, and knowing that I am lucky to have what I do while the season still holds.

Love,
D.

p.s. If you are inspired to create a fall link-love list, please let me know so that I can see what others are going to be up to until winter sets in!
Link

27 Comments:

Blogger Annie Jeffries said...

I read and clicked my way through this enthralling post. I feel much the same way when autumn arrives but have never actually written it out as such a clear cut roadmap to goals. Excellent idea. "Seasons of the Body" just made it to my reading list on Good Reads. And, finally, congratulations on the publication of your poetry; an exciting event that I am still striving to accomplish. Have a wonderful day.
Annie

1:16 PM  
Blogger jenica said...

yup, i never would have pegged you as a football fan! haha. to each his own!

myabe you're just a little jewish at heart...their year begins in september. ;-D i need to do a post like this. because i too love autumn!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

Beautiful photo today D!
and that list is too much fun. I am have been rolling around ideas in my mind for my fall list.
maybe next thursday...

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Outstanding post! I too read and clicked my way through it. Fall is so wonderful. I am looking forward to the leaves changing colors and falling all across the lawn. Great choice in CD to listen to and drive people crazy by and great book choices.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

I am inspired!

All of it sounds good to me. Fall feels...safe to me. A time to cozy down and go with in. I love it.

I also love that color for your bathroom. Please be sure to post a pic when you are done!

:)

3:43 PM  
Blogger daisies said...

oh oh oh ... i adore all your links and have to come back when i have more time and copy down the books :)

i have so many memes to catch up on including a tag for this one from a while back so will be getting to it soon i hope ... i am in the busy and finding my time at the computer less and less and more in spurts but its all good as projects abound :) i love this time of year too!!

warm hugs and lots of love ... i love the pumplin!! xox

6:24 PM  
Blogger Annie Jeffries said...

P.S. in the late afternoon. That is exactly what I thought I would do. I'm following your example this weekend. I'll let you know when it is posted. Hugs, Annie

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fall makes my mind whirl too...it's always and forever "back to school" time...and what a great collection of links! I am thoroughly inspired. xoxo, M

1:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still getting used to the Northern Hemisphere - this time of the year is spring in my turangawaewae (my home, my place to stand).

But as my body adapts to the seasons being all upside down I also feel that fall is a time for harvesting not only in the natural world but also in a creative sense.

And yes - I am paying attention. You are very close to finishing your book (yay) and fall seems a perfect time to do that.

6:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved meandering through this post!

Ins and outs!

:D

6:43 AM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

I love autumn too. Unfortunately my computer wouldn't let me follow all your links

7:05 AM  
Blogger angela said...

i loved the colors you link to. enjoy the season! so glad you played along, i liked following your links :)

7:41 AM  
Blogger Deb R said...

So much good stuff here to check out, Delia! I put Seasons of the Body on my Amazon wish list. Hadn't heard of it before, but it sounds excellent.

I hope you share photos of your bath transformation!

8:45 AM  
Blogger paisley said...

well,, i must say if a virile to do list is power... you win!!!!!

8:48 AM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Oh I just love fall and yours is packed with punch! Love your take on the prompt and the pumpkins! xo

4:38 PM  
Blogger Menopauseprincess said...

That was so much fun to read! I used to live in California, now I live in Nevada. Not much of a change of seasons in either place, I'm afraid.

9:07 PM  
Blogger meghan said...

I really loved this post! I feel the same way about autumn! I feel like I become a whole new woman this time of year!! Congratulations on nearly the end of your book! And I loved the energy in your links list! When I get a chance I will make one I think! Thank you especially for the book suggestions - I am ALWAYS looking for new books! happy autumn!!

3:02 AM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Oh. This is the hardest time of year for me - so I'll mark your page, come back to follow the links and to find inspiration! Nice post!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Becca said...

What a treasure hunt of a post, with delightful surprises at every link!

I love fall too - it empowers and engergzies me!

2:43 PM  
Blogger Annie Jeffries said...

Hi Delia,
I sent my link for the hommage to Fall to your listed email and it bounce back to me. So, here I am again for the third time on this post. This is some sort of record for me. LOL
http://scenesfromaslowmovingtrain.blogspot.com/
2007/09/peace-on-our-little-piece-of-earth.html

10:18 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Delia, I am back to say you won a brocante surprise! Please email me your mailing address. xoxox

5:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love your links here honey, and I've saved your book recommendations in my wish list over at amazon. i'm reading suite francaise right now.

your list is divine. xo

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dizzying list! I added some of your reading list to mine and checked out Iron and Wine - love 'em!

I haven't posted a link list, but I do have some news that will open up all kinds of possibilities for me this fall!

6:21 PM  
Blogger Forgetfulone said...

Sounds like my to-do list! If only I could make the time. This is the first time I've visited your blog, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks!

12:38 AM  
Blogger madelyn said...

I couldn't seem to leave a comment
above but wished to say
I LOVE Iron and Wine!

I discovered them in the film
Garden State and was
captivated immediately:)

Happy you had a marvelous time:)

11:11 PM  
Blogger Odessa said...

d, i knew there was i reason why i love your blog. hehe. IRON AND WINE! oh, i'm so jealous! hope you had a blast. now i'm off to check if they're coming to my area.

3:14 AM  
Blogger Ali Ambrosio said...

What a wonderful list!

Here I am missing fall weather, and all things fall-related. As I live in the southern hemisphere, our seasons are flipped. My birthday, traditionally an autumn event in all of my memories and associations, is now in the spring!

6:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.