Tuesday, October 09, 2007

POSTCARD 4: RENEWAL



There is so much to be said now that words don't even hold up beneath the weight of the sky. I write for myself in my black-covered notebook or in the red one, the color of the Chinese maple leaves on tree outside. It isn't that I don't want to keep publishing my work or sharing it here, it is just that I am in a deep state of change. A few more publications still wait in the wings, but I've sent nothing new out there into the world in months. A quiet season folding gently in around me...Chrysalis heart and tender skin...New Moon tomorrow--dark night...

My novel is still waiting because life has asserted itself and given me little room to breathe or create just now. Old health issues from a while back have also revisited me and so the need to heal my physical self is absolutely vital, while the poet in me waits patiently, sharpening her pencils and organizing her stacks of paper. This time away from the computer will be about re-gaining my strength, trusting in the fallow time to teach me exactly what I need to learn, and renewing my bonds with the outdoors. Too many hot months hidden away from extended periods of time in nature is starting to show in me. I welcome the opportunity to go and sit at the edge of the cornfield with my wildies and count dark-winged birds as they feed on the remnants of the harvest. Impromptu lunches on worn quilts in the park beckon, as well as the approaching crispness in the air against my skin. The first of the leaves fall now where I am, tapping against my windshield as I drive winding backroads and notice how the grass lies flat in the field, a tender green woman's hair combed back by the season.

Reading about the Buddha's enlightenment and how weapons launched against him turned to blossoms before they ever came close and this is exactly the imagery I needed to understand my current phase of life--turning arrows into flowers. This period of rebirth is, for me, about turning wounds into things of beauty and insecurities into fully realized works. Slowing down, paying attention, being aware of how beautiful everything is around me--these are keys to my renewal. While I am taking a break from this online world, I am wondering...what do you do to renew yourself? How do you honor your own need for quiet times and chrysalis states? I wish a beautiful Autumn to anyone who happens by this post...and depart with a poem, this time by Ema Saiko (1787-1861), Japanese painter and poet.

Solitary Living...

This innermost room, with little to do,
is adequate to commit my plain life to.
Drink a bit, and I forget my clothes are thin,
an idea, and I let my brush run aslant.
Wind at the eaves, and the maple sheds its leaves,
on the wet stones the chrysanthemums fade.
All day with no guests visiting me,
I peruse books, delighted to learn.


Love,
Delia

p.s. I just had to mention that I have a short fiction piece appearing in the current issue (#7) of MotherVerse Magazine (in their DeepVoice section). Since this was the first fiction I've ever submitted and it has been published in such a wonderful place, I feel like sinking into my off-screen life will offer countless creative excuses for me. Hoping the same for each of you as well!
Link

21 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

oh my friend. my heart and thoughts are with you on your hiatus. your words draw me down the backroads with you, just riding along, you and me, two friends that understand. xoxo

1:47 PM  
Blogger Rob Kistner said...

What a truly splendid, engaging, and soul moving bit of writing this is!

"A quiet season folding gently in around me...Chrysalis heart and tender skin...New Moon tomorrow--dark night..."

That is exquisite, breathtaking... ;)

I am deeply saddened that after finally finding your way to the island, you may not be back for some time... :( But that is selfish thinking. I trust your time away will bring you the renewal you seek. Peace & health to you!

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope your time away brings needed renewal. Your post is true for many of us and is a must in order to retain the creative spirit.

I wish you the best.

Rose

xo

4:06 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Delia. Be well and heal and return renewed. I am picturing you perched on a swing somewhere, swaying gracefully, with your head lulling back, your legs dangling and your mouth breaking into an easy smile. I am also picturing your wild ones tug at you, instantly presuming that this extra time with momma means they can take advantage and savour you. Enjoy this time. I'll miss you here.
Vx

6:45 PM  
Blogger Annie Jeffries said...

Dear Delia, So much here I empathize with. Life is constantly turning and sometimes we just have to stop and jump off for a little bit. Be well and come visit us from time to time.

8:02 PM  
Blogger paisley said...

i too am blessed with a very simple solitude... i love the peace i have found inside my own little corner of the world... excellent piece....

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful reflection.
I wish you much healing, love and grace. As always, you will be missed. I know you will return renewed and even better than before.

11:42 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Arrows to flowers. So be it.

Your words here will be missed and I hope you return soon, renewed.

The best with hugs,
deb

12:02 AM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

An exquisite telling. I wish you a healing at your own speed and a renewal which you seek. And, congratulations on the publication. I'll take a peek at it. Best of all to you!

12:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crysalis heart and tender skin...

This spoke to the deep heart in me. So beautiful. I send you much warmth on this dark night.

1:06 AM  
Blogger daisies said...

thoughts are with you ~ sending you love and hopes of a beautiful renewal ... lots of love, xoxox

12:21 PM  
Blogger Michelle (a.k.a. la vie en rose) said...

everytime i read your words i am reminded why i love writing so much. enjoy your time of renewal...let it fill you with more words and new poems...and i look forward to reading them once you return.

blessings...

2:20 PM  
Blogger delhidreams said...

each one of us, carries within, innumerable seeds, of life & dreams, and sometimes, it is necessary for the winter, to fall real hard, so that the spring blooms beautiful, evermore

3:19 AM  
Blogger Lacithecat said...

Fare thee well on your journey. I personally will miss your beautiful writing as they truely inspire me, but I understand and look forward to the produce of this period (hopefully in hardback).

Smile ...

9:50 AM  
Blogger January said...

When I need renewal I come here! I also hug the kids, or find a few moments with my journal.

Hope you feel better soon.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope this time fills your well, and that you will be back refreshed and potent. xoxo, M

12:02 AM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

hmmmm your writing is so soothing and gentle-like a warm breeze or a swing in my hammock. True talent.

I don't take enough of this type of time. This post has made me stop, sigh and think.

Thank you

7:34 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

A lovely piece of writing, Delia. And congrats on the publication of your fiction piece! It seems a lot of us are going through big changes necessary for a renewal of sorts. Wishing you the best of health and spirit in yours. xoxox

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Delia,
I relate all to well to "old health issues resurfacing" and wish you the best in renewal in body and mind. You present this post with strength, but I read between the lines and can feel that writer's ache and more... My heart is with you for what you do not say.

Your spirit and talent still soars with every post I read here. In any spare time during your break, I'll eagerly explore more of your archives. Autumn is my favorite season.I hope yours is resplendent and does give renewal. I'm so glad you shared a link to your most recent publication! Congrats!

10:50 PM  
Blogger Mindy said...

tenderness and healing, understanding and patience, warmth and love, sent to you from me.

12:59 PM  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

i have been thinking about you and just wanted to say so today...
sending you blessings and healing...i hope you are finding yourself resting inside feelings of renewel.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.