Monday, November 19, 2007

BURNING



Friday, right before my boy-o came home from school with a raging migraine, I huddled down against the chill of the air on the porch with my notebook and challenged myself to write five American Sentences (seventeen syllables only) in five minutes...inspired by this new website and my previously-established obsession with poetry. In one moment, I was an inferno of Autumn color, in the next--a mother hurrying off to round up my hurting son. Once upon a time ago in the very recent history of me, these two callings--the one to put words on a page and the one to create and then raise children seemed to clash. I was forever feeling like a mother pregnant with unwritten lines or like a poet with waiting children...until I just decided to drop the labels. I realized this with deeper clarity on Friday when I saw that the writing was also the nurturing and the act of covering my child with a blanket and rubbing his temples and wrists with essential oil to ease his pain was the poem. So here are my five five-minute sentences...written in a moment when I dared to look nakedly at the outside all around me.

11.16.07--Tree softly changing, flames licking a golden heart, bold transformation.
11.16.07--Trees burning outside, riot of crimson longing, my heart the dark flame.
11.16.07--"You have to let go," this, what Autumn trees tell me, yellow leaf falling.
11.16.07--Color shows herself again, scarlet and gold truths, can't hide myself now.
11.16.07--There is something here, within this blazing halo, answering embers.
Link

20 Comments:

Blogger Becca said...

--"You have to let go," this, what Autumn trees tell me, yellow leaf falling.


These are all such lovely sentences, but this one in particular speaks to my heart. I believe that is one of Autumn's finest lessons.

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your writing is so spectacular, i hope you never leave this venue so that i can read here. yes, it's all about me. wink. xoxo

3:52 PM  
Blogger Linda Jacobs said...

Nice reflections--like leaves floating around my brain!

4:42 PM  
Blogger Carolee said...

"you have to let go." what a perfect lesson from fall! and i love the idea about five in five minutes. may have to try it ....

6:09 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

" "You have to let go," this, what Autumn trees tell me, yellow leaf falling."

wonderful!

7:02 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

These are all lovely and could work well together as a larger piece. Just a suggestion. :)

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh - so lovely. "you have to let go . . .' - the one that spoke to me the most.

12:07 AM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

autumnal beauty in your American sentences, lovely. I hope your son feels better.

5:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Combining they make a full poem.

6:04 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

i think that finding that place in which we are not fighting for space to be either/or - but accepting that we are both and all the above - is a wonderful thought.

the lines are stunning and you've obviously struck a deep chord with the message of letting go.

thanks for the link to Petunia's blog. Fabulous stuff!

10:16 AM  
Blogger daisies said...

sigh ... lovely ... xox

12:07 PM  
Blogger January said...

Hope Boy-O is feeling better.

I'm drawn tp these lines especially, "Color shows herself again, scarlet and gold truths, can't hide myself now."

I love thinking of color as a female entity.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Beautiful words.

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope it is good.

:)

3:19 PM  
Blogger Andromeda Jazmon said...

Beautiful! The photo, the thoughts, the five minute sentences... Thank you for those links. i am all over that site!

7:00 AM  
Blogger bee said...

i VERY much agree with kristen...your writing is delectable.

and that sentence about letting go, well, i sat here in front of my computer for a long while, asking myself, "how did she know?"

thank you.
xox

12:45 PM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

hmmmm yes I feel this clash you mention-what a lovely answer in your words. Perfect really
:)

9:49 PM  
Blogger MAHIMA said...

D!
i'm finally back on the blog and boy, what an adventure to come here to! i love the words you chose. you inspired me already!
m.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

It's been a while since I visited. You still write so beautifully. Happy belated Thanksgiving.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Mindy said...

i am that yellow leaf...letting go. thanks for the beauty of your words to float me safely to the ground. xo

8:51 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

Lovely

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.