Thursday, November 01, 2007

NOVEMBER 1: (a poem, because it is still Thursday)



I have posted about her before, but since I am re-reading her latest book of poetry and her words amaze me, here is another:

Poetry Punishes You for Your Absence

She's not an easy lover who simply tilts her head
when you appear on her front stoop.

Will she allow the porch light to cast heavenly redemption
like a bare bulb in a church-basement Christmas pageant?

No, there's scowling, silence. And when finally
she takes you to the tub to wash away the world's filth,

you're always shocked, no matter how many times
you've strayed, that she doesn't gently cup your head,

but dunks it, again and again,
a baptism that just won't take.

--Julianna Baggott, 2007--


Poetry has been hunting me lately while I dodge her in the deep thickets of fiction...I know it is only a matter of time.


*Remember, I've joined the insanity--so I'll be giving you words every day until wild December closes in...*
Link

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Baggot with us.

Poetry can be relentless once she stops pretending she doesn't see me while I'm standing around pretending she's not there.

I jumped into NaBloPoMo at the last minute. Last night I got a case of the "what was I thinking heeby jeebies" - :)

6:33 PM  
Blogger Odessa said...

wow, thats a powerful poem! thanks for sharing it.

7:25 PM  
Blogger January said...

Amen! That's exactly how I felt writing something new. Thanks for sharing this--I needed it.

12:46 AM  
Blogger jillypoet said...

I really like Baggot, too. Which book is that from? I think I have two of hers. Or maybe just one...

10:01 PM  
Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

thanks to all for the comments...jillypoet, it is from her newest book Confessions of Silkworms & Bees.
Love,
D.

11:49 PM  
Blogger daisies said...

so very powerful ... wonderful, thank you for sharing!

3:58 PM  
Blogger Michelle (a.k.a. la vie en rose) said...

love it!

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.