Thursday, February 07, 2008

"You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have really lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love.”
--Henry Drummond, Canadian Poet--


Rosie and I spent a summer mostly outside--in parks, by pools, by the creek with our shoes caked in mud. This child is unlike any other...she is spirited, spunky, determined, imaginative, and more than just a little bit wild. She wakes in the morning, ties a hot pink feather boa around her waist as her "kitty tail", then insists on eating her cereal without a spoon...lapping up the milk with unabashed delight. She is eccentric...she is fiery...her boldness often contradicts my own quiet nature. We already battle--and she is just four-years-old. Recently, she has decided she will be "living on a bus" when she grows up because then she "can go anywhere in the world". Her companions will be her eight babies, twenty dogs, and three daddies because, as she explains, she "needs a lot of daddies to take care of the dogs while she's driving." (Naturally...) Rosie drives her siblings crazy...can never be alone for more than a few minutes...and doesn't take no for an answer when she truly wants something. Though her stubborn will exasperates me at times and genuinely confuses me at others, I see it as one of her gifts. This is not a girl who will shrink back when someone down the line tries to make her feel small...this is not a girl who will worry about her loud voice because "girls are supposed to be silent and pretty"....this is a girl who knows, instinctively, how to stand up for herself in her rhinestone sneakers. For this--and for so many other reasons...I love her madly.

See what others are loving today here.
Link

15 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

Hahaha! I love that. And that picture of you two is just totally adorable! *happy sigh*

I think Rosie and G would get along great! Thank God the world will have women like this. ;)

(hug)

:)

1:38 PM  
Blogger Deirdre said...

What happy, precious child. I love the idea of a pink boa at breakfast - think how great a day could be that starts that way.

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, not only is that a wonderful photo - the commentary about her is just wonderful. lovely (and spirited!!)

2:25 PM  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

this picture is gorgeous. thank you for sharing these little pieces of rosie...what a fantastic girl she is!!

(and the way you write about it all...deep breath...invites me to open my heart a bit more to the idea that maybe i could do that mom thing too.)

6:03 PM  
Blogger daisies said...

that photo is pure joy ... what a fabulous memory to hold on to ... she sounds fabulous and lovely and everything a girl should be :)

xo

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I loved this post--and Rosie is an excellent role model for my Madam, who likes to pretend that she's a doggie herself.

They just fill up every arid corner, don't they?

11:41 PM  
Blogger Mindy said...

perfect. i need to get some rhinstone sneakers too!

8:25 AM  
Blogger Michelle (a.k.a. la vie en rose) said...

the world is in good hands with girls like her!

9:56 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

This is the kind of child I would like. She sounds like a special soul.

Beautiful picture, too.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Melanie Margaret said...

this post gave me a big smile as Maggie, about to turn 4 in a few months, sits snuggled on my lap. she is home from school today with a fever so as i read blogs i play you tube videos from disney movies.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Patry Francis said...

A wonderful portrait of a clearly amazing child. So glad to see you blogging again!

12:25 AM  
Blogger bee said...

aaaaaaahhhhhhhh......

purrrrr.........

*stretches out in the square of sunlight this post has created*

delia, my god. i love your writing so, so so very much, and coming back to my old haunts after a sporadic hiatus from blogging...well, i want to read all your archives, let's put it that way, and not miss any of the spells you cast.

people call me feline all the time, but i LOVE rosie's take on it. i think amber's totally right, *i'm* not a mama yet, but i'm SO happy that there are girls coming behind me like her. fiery, independent spirits...lovely.

there was something about the way that you wrote, "my rosie", that made my heart clench, by the way.

8:40 AM  
Blogger January said...

What a joy! Thanks for sharing this picture and this special part of your life with us.

(And, I'd due to answer your meme--will do so today.)

6:31 AM  
Blogger Popsicles & Lollipops said...

What a beautiful picture. I would love to have a shot like this of my daughter and me.

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fantastic photo and entry for Love Thursday.
Awesome!
a.

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.