Monday, February 04, 2008

WINTER LONGING



There comes a time each winter season, usually by February's arrival, where I find myself longing for springtime like a forgotten lover...hungry for rain and green, for fresh blossoms, for the gathering slant of light. Today, that bittersweet pull has found me--and today I have found a poem which says all that I cannot about the pull of the coming magic of spring.

Some Kiss We Want

There is some kiss we want
with our whole lives, the touch of

spirit on the body. Seawater
begs the pearl to break its shell.

And the lily, how passionately
it needs some wild darling! At

night, I open the window and ask
the moon to come and press its

face against mine. Breathe into
me.
Close the language-door and

open the love window. The moon
won't use the door, only the window.

--Rumi--

...throwing my curtains wide...
Love,
Delia
Link

10 Comments:

Blogger Lacithecat said...

Lovely. And I know the blue skies this morning made me long for my sandles and swishing skirts.

Oh very soon.

My blog is back up and hopefully will turn to normal programming later this week.

4:00 PM  
Blogger paisley said...

how lovely,, and so true as we begin to long for springs "kiss".....xzvhstxr

7:40 PM  
Blogger anthonynorth said...

February is the hardest month, I must admit. The cold is a bore, the sky rarely blue, nature frozen and still.
Yes, you put it perfectly. Roll on Spring.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Oh, yes, those are the longings!

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

such a beautiful poem.. just the words in needed to read today. and i hear you on longing for spring- i'm in that place too. i cannot wait and at times it gets so unseasonably mild that it feels as if spring is just around the corner. soon.

xoxo

2:46 PM  
Blogger daisies said...

throwing my curtains wide too ... the longings, oh the longings ... beautiful! :)

4:30 PM  
Blogger Constance Brewer said...

very nice. Just what I needed today. Thanks for sharing!

7:44 PM  
Blogger Michelle (a.k.a. la vie en rose) said...

oh thank you for sharing this poem. it says everything i sometimes feel but don't know how to say.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Me.Too. I need the sunshine about now. Coffee alone ain't cuttin' it.

:)

1:40 PM  
Blogger tracey clark said...

although we have lovely weather all year pretty much in so cal, i have found myself longing for color. i scanned out yard for something to trim to bring indoors but came up empty handed. i had use a bowl of oranges to satify my desire for a splash of life!

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.