Sunday, April 13, 2008

CLOSER



"Though the tree drinks from hidden roots, we see the display of its branches." Though I'm currently drawing from the underground myself--I see the blossoming on the tender boughs. It is spring and everything is uncertain...the weather flares from a steady chill to balmy sunshine. The earth is already a little lovesick with all of this rising and falling--throwing out her most luminous blooms and feathers of leaves, just to keep the sun's attention. There are these hidden roots on words, on smiles, on the delicate jade tufts of fledgling grass. Heavy choirs of indiscernible birds sing in the trees outside...so drunk on the gathering light that they continue their call and response long after the sun has set. I write a few lines, then shred the paper in jagged edged stalks, gluing them back down on the pages of my journal and inking over them...dangerous on paper. Whenever I can be outside, I am. The floorboards of the house sift clouds of mica-flecked dirt along the edges from muddy boots and battered shoes. It doesn't matter--the sun is back again--the intoxicating flowers and delirious birds. I have had to sink deeper into my own roots and now magnolias burst open from the hidden darkness. "Whatever the earth took from heaven, it yields up honestly in spring."



{two quoted sentences by Rumi...exercise inspired by the one here}
Link

8 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

i'm a dervish these days...i'm spinning inside with ideas and wondering where to channel it all. i don't know what to call myself but i'm yearning.

everyday, i'm outside too.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

*big sigh* your words are like a bite of the most perfect strawberry tart... delicious.. always.

I just found your tumblr scrapbook - i'm so addicted to mine :-)

3:56 PM  
Blogger daisies said...

sigh. no words just a long deep breathe of a sigh. xo

12:46 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Beautiful. So beautiful.

:)

7:23 PM  
Blogger Michelle (a.k.a. la vie en rose) said...

mmmmm...your words never fail to get me...

3:56 PM  
Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

Thank you for the beautiful comments...

kristen: i know what you mean about the energy shifting...maybe we all have spring fever?

susannah: i'm addicted to *your* tumblr too...

daisies: sighs welcome here!

amber: thank you so much...

michelle: your words get me too, or perhaps I get your words???

Love,
D.

2:06 PM  
Blogger January said...

I'm ready to move toward the certainty of summer.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

january: you know I'm with you & your book is finally on its way!

Love,
D.

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.